Advice Please: I need to decide about importing coffee to the U.S.

bobomatic

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I've been reading some of the posts on importing coffee to the US and based on what I'm reading, I may not move forward with plans of importing.

I'm retiring to Colombian next year (I'm married to a stunning Colombian mujer) and started exploring business opportunities. The first one obviously was the coffee thing....

We're good friends with a Colombian coffee grower from Armenia who expressed an interest in the US market. The coffee is damn good. I'd love to bring it to the US but based on what I'm reading, I don't know if the margins are good enough to justify the effort.

So I got a question for the experts....

Would you:

1. Forget about it. Enjoy the coffee and find another opportunity.

or

2. Do more research, it's possible the margins may be worth it.

or

3. Other _____________ ( fill in the blank )

aliciapaul

Aug 30, 2018
United States
Visit site
I think you should do more research about the profit margins.
I've been reading some of the posts on importing coffee to the US and based on what I'm reading, I may not move forward with plans of importing.

I'm retiring to Colombian next year (I'm married to a stunning Colombian mujer) and started exploring business opportunities. The first one obviously was the coffee thing....

We're good friends with a Colombian coffee grower from Armenia who expressed an interest in the US market. The coffee is damn good. I'd love to bring it to the US but based on what I'm reading, I don't know if the margins are good enough to justify the effort.

So I got a question for the experts....

Would you:

1. Forget about it. Enjoy the coffee and find another opportunity.

or

2. Do more research, it's possible the margins may be worth it.

or

3. Other _____________ ( fill in the blank )

Hi,
I think you should look into it. The National Federation of coffee growers in Colombia have a program for micro-export, which simplifies the process of exporting and makes it easier for small-scale farmers to export their coffee, often roasted specialty coffee.
I´m a coffee exporter here in Colombia, exporting roasted coffee from small-scale coffee growers, most likely like your friend in Armenia.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about setting up the business in Colombia, or if you need any help exporting the coffee.
Have a nice day
Stefan Hansen

bobomatic

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I'm going back down in November and will do some more research. I'm not totally against the idea, but the numbers need to work.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
1. I know so many guys importing from Colombia.

What makes your coffee any better than anyone elses ?
Do you know about coffee processing/washing ? Taste profile has to hold.
Are you going for specialty lots ? Do you have the customer base to buy them
Are you going for the 82 point cupped lots ? Are you prepared to compete with the big boys in this area ?

2. Economically, one needs to bring in 1/2 container or 20,000 lbs
Cost of a container is $4 -$5,000
Cost of the beans will be approximately $30,000 anyhow

3 Do you have a Colombian export license ?