Greetings from Wisconsin: Looking for Advise on Buying a Roaster

BartJ

Oct 29, 2018
Wisconsin
Visit site
Greetings from Wisconsin: Looking for Advice on Buying a Roaster

Hi All,

I am interested in learning how to roast my own coffee beans, and advice on a good machine to purchase.
I eventually hope to roast beans in a coffee shop.

Thanks for reading,

Bart J

:coffee-bean::coffee-bean::coffeecup::coffeecup:

Last edited:

oldwasichu

Jul 29, 2018
Northern Illinois
Visit site
Welcome, Bart.

If you are looking to roast beans for yourself and perhaps friends and family initially, I'd suggest visiting Burman's in Middleton, WI. They can give you guidance to starting on the journey.

Personally, I took the plunge earlier this year with a Fresh Roast SR500 ($179). Great machine to learn on and has pretty good adjustability of heat and fan speed. Works well for chaff removal and cooling the beans after roast, too. Great for a newbie. (I still use mine to find what roast level I prefer before doing larger batches on my other roaster.) Upgraded to a Gene Café (small drum roaster at just under $600) after having a few months' experience - does larger quantities, but the you'll need to fabricate your own cooling system as the Gene's shortcoming is that the cooling is too slow. Small 5gal ShopVac, colander, and rigid corrugate box taped up to be nearly airtight with a hole cut out to accept your colander and the ShopVac hose works great. Google it and you'll see that many have used that technique for a rapid cool down.

Coffee shop roasting is a whole different level. You'll likely want a gas powered machine for that.

BartJ

Oct 29, 2018
Wisconsin
Visit site
Thank you for all the great information!
i have been in touch with Mill City Roasters, and I think I am going to attend one of their classes to learn as well.
Where do you order your beans from? Any recommendations?

Bart

oldwasichu

Jul 29, 2018
Northern Illinois
Visit site
Where do you order your beans from? Any recommendations?

Bart

Burman's and Sweet Maria's mostly. Have also used Coffee Bean Corral. Be aware that Sweet Maria's also has a Coffee Shrub site that is geared to businesses or individuals purchasing in larger quantities. I find that the cupping notes and roast recommendations are very helpful.