Question Tips for Training New Baristas?

Hey guys, I am completely new to the forum but have been reading a lot and see that you all may be able to impart some helpful knowledge on this topic. I have been working in specialty coffee for a few years now but was just promoted to a management position which involves a lot more training than I ever encountered as a barista. I am having trouble designing an effective curriculum to teach brand new baristas how to dial in their espresso/ understand how to assign words to taste, aroma, etc. Any tips on how I can get these concepts across to people just learning to develop a palate for coffee?

BIC
    welcome!
    one tip would be "morning calibration".
    before starting the business, all the baristas must be able to calibrate espresso machine, grind, milk temp...etc in order to make "consistently great coffee" for that day.

This is a great start! Thank you!

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
    Hey guys, I am completely new to the forum but have been reading a lot and see that you all may be able to impart some helpful knowledge on this topic. I have been working in specialty coffee for a few years now but was just promoted to a management position which involves a lot more training than I ever encountered as a barista. I am having trouble designing an effective curriculum to teach brand new baristas how to dial in their espresso/ understand how to assign words to taste, aroma, etc. Any tips on how I can get these concepts across to people just learning to develop a palate for coffee?
    it would be beneficial to have some cupping sessions with the different beans you will be using at your shop.
    New baristas need to know the characteristics of each beans and how to make different styles of coffees.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links