Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions Please: Decaf Pouch, a Bold New Way to Decaf

Hi everyone,

I'm Sam and my company in Seattle, Decafino, created a new decaffeination method using a product called the Decaf Pouch. The Decaf Pouch is something like a teabag, where you put it into your coffee while brewing or post-brew, and it removes the caffeine from the coffee. It works with any coffee beans, and any caffeinated beverages. Our goal is to allow more people to have more decaf coffee options, especially for those who can't take too much caffeine, but want to enjoy a good cup of joe.

We are launching a Kickstarter soon, but before that, I would like to know what everyone thinks about it? Would you buy it? Do you think there is a market for it?

Any feedback would be lovely

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelngdj View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm Sam and my company in Seattle, Decafino, created a new decaffeination method using a product called the Decaf Pouch. The Decaf Pouch is something like a teabag, where you put it into your coffee while brewing or post-brew, and it removes the caffeine from the coffee. It works with any coffee beans, and any caffeinated beverages. Our goal is to allow more people to have more decaf coffee options, especially for those who can't take too much caffeine, but want to enjoy a good cup of joe.

We are launching a Kickstarter soon, but before that, I would like to know what everyone thinks about it? Would you buy it? Do you think there is a market for it?

Hello Samuel,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

Your Decaf Pouch sounds interesting. Has it been tested to prove that it actually removes the caffeine from the beverages?

Does the pouch leave chemicals in the beverage? Where does the caffeine go? How much does it remove?

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if there is a market for it, considering that there are so many decaffeinated options for beverages now-a-days. Plus, how would a person know if it actually removed the caffeine from the beverage?

I guess there are too many unanswered questions . . . .

~ Rose

Welcome Samuel! I am intrigued with the concept. Rose' reaction will undoubtedly be the common reaction to hearing of your "game changing" new product. The resistance will be strong, and the logic behind your approach to fixing something isn't perceived as being broke will be criticized. What is your value proposition?

[QUOTE=samuelngdj;107526We are launching a Kickstarter soon, but before that, I would like to know what everyone thinks about it? Would you buy it? Do you think there is a market for it?

Any feedback would be lovely [/QUOTE]

Not to be blunt... but show me the proof. I don't see how a pouch could possibly eliminate caffeine. It certainly what others will be thinking as well so you may as well be prepared to answer.

BIC
    Hi everyone,

Interesting concept! just curious to know how it can be done.
    for me, I am not a decaf person, so I wouldn't be interested in.
    anyway, when you launch kickstarter, let us know the link.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hello Samuel,

Your Decaf Pouch sounds interesting. Has it been tested to prove that it actually removes the caffeine from the beverages?

Does the pouch leave chemicals in the beverage? Where does the caffeine go? How much does it remove?

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if there is a market for it, considering that there are so many decaffeinated options for beverages now-a-days. Plus, how would a person know if it actually removed the caffeine from the beverage?

~ Rose

Hi Rose, thank you for your feedback and interest!

Yes, the Decaf Pouch will work and remove caffeine effectively. Inside the pouch, there are many small beads that act like magnets that can pull out caffeine from coffee through a physical process called adsorption. The caffeine molecules are attracted and held tightly to the surface of the beads, unable to escape, and the beads will remain in the pouch.

The Decaf Pouch has been under development for more than 3 years by a team of scientists and engineers. HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) is utilized to accurately measure the caffeine concentration.

The best thing about the Decaf Pouch is that is can work with any coffee, regardless of roasting degree and origin. It is made from natural food-grade ingredients and contains no harmful chemicals.

~Sam

Welcome Samuel! I am intrigued with the concept. Rose' reaction will undoubtedly be the common reaction to hearing of your "game changing" new product. The resistance will be strong, and the logic behind your approach to fixing something isn't perceived as being broke will be criticized. What is your value proposition?
    Hello Mr.Peaberry, it's nice to hearing from you.

I am a chemical engineer myself, and I value health and environment highly. However, I have seen many disadvantages with the current decaf coffee and decaffeination methods. My team and I really want to improve it by putting all our efforts into developing the Decaf Pouch. We want to create a healthier and more sustainable solution to produce higher-quality, better-tasting decaf coffee and reduce wastage.

~Sam

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hello Samuel,

~ Rose

Yes, the Decaf Pouch will work and remove caffeine effectively. Inside the pouch, there are many small beads that act like magnets that can pull out caffeine from coffee through a physical process called adsorption. The caffeine molecules are attracted and held tightly to the surface of the beads, unable to escape, and the beads will remain in the pouch.

The Decaf Pouch has been under development for more than 3 years by a team of scientists and engineers. HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) is utilized to accurately measure the caffeine concentration.

The best thing about the Decaf Pouch is that is can work with any coffee, regardless of roasting degree and origin. It is made from natural food-grade ingredients and contains no harmful chemicals.

~Sam

~Sam
    Sam - you put that in your value proposition or at a minimum put something on the website. I looked at your website prior to making my comment since the process wasn't being addressed. Clearly, you are going to hit skeptics but if it works it works.

What percentage of caffeine is left in the coffee?

~Sam
    What other compounds in the coffee flavor spectrum are removed in your process?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links