How unlikely is it to make a career in the coffee industry?

Hey Guys! I'm 25 and currently slogging away in the cyber security field which is arguably a great field to get into and the pay is great, but I absolutely hate IT and working an office job. I've developed a passion for coffee over the years from brewing to roasting and learning. I recently have been having these nagging thoughts about the fact that I feel as though I would regret it if I didn't try to get into this industry. I ultimately would love to end up in roasting or owning a shop, but honestly if I could do anything in the industry I would be happy. My fiancee who is a chef, but has a lot of money saved up has said that maybe I should dive in for 6 months or so to see if I can hack it.
    I'm certainly willing to do my time. Is Barista a good entry point into the industry? I know that it is probably the most available job, but is it a dead-end for advancing? Do any of you guys have any experience just diving in and hoping (working your ass of) for the best? I'd love to hear your stories.

BIC
    yes, barista is a good entry point but of couse it could be a dead end for advancing unless you are more than willing to lean the skills and has the motivation to advance to next levels.
    In USA, the average age of a barista is 22. but in italy, it is 47. that means that most of US baristas are working in cafes as a temp job until they graduate and get a better paying job. In your case, it seems like you already have a better paying job but you want to get into coffee industry. that is a bit rare case, but it could happen.

so, let me tell you one case that I know from my experience.
    Craig Simon. used to my customer, green bean buyer for Veneziano roasters in Melbourne. he began as a barista for the company, then, he really honed his skills and compete in barista competitions in Australia which he won numerous times. he even went to world barista competition a couple of times. after that, he got trained to be a Q grader and green bean buyers for the company. and began to travel around the world, cupping and buying green beans for the company. of course, meanwhile, he had learned the in and outs of the operation and be able to make a lot of contacts in coffee communities all over the world. after working for the company for about 10 years total, now he has opened up his own roasting company and with all the experiences and back grounds and contacts, he is doing very well and growing.

Craig told me that his roasting company is still too small (he opened up 1.5 years ago), so he can not import beans right now, but his plan is to be an importer of green beans and be a distributor.

i guess this is one case where you can really grow in coffee industry starting from a barista.
    even for me, i was in electronic import export for 25 years. but now, for last 7 years, I am in a coffee industry, as a green bean exporter from Guatemala. so yes, it can happen if you want it enough and work hard enough and has the motivation to go thru the headaches and setbacks..

good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    yes, barista is a good entry point but of couse it could be a dead end for advancing unless you are more than willing to lean the skills and has the motivation to advance to next levels.
    In USA, the average age of a barista is 22. but in italy, it is 47. that means that most of US baristas are working in cafes as a temp job until they graduate and get a better paying job. In your case, it seems like you already have a better paying job but you want to get into coffee industry. that is a bit rare case, but it could happen.

so, let me tell you one case that I know from my experience.
    Craig Simon. used to my customer, green bean buyer for Veneziano roasters in Melbourne. he began as a barista for the company, then, he really honed his skills and compete in barista competitions in Australia which he won numerous times. he even went to world barista competition a couple of times. after that, he got trained to be a Q grader and green bean buyers for the company. and began to travel around the world, cupping and buying green beans for the company. of course, meanwhile, he had learned the in and outs of the operation and be able to make a lot of contacts in coffee communities all over the world. after working for the company for about 10 years total, now he has opened up his own roasting company and with all the experiences and back grounds and contacts, he is doing very well and growing.

Craig told me that his roasting company is still too small (he opened up 1.5 years ago), so he can not import beans right now, but his plan is to be an importer of green beans and be a distributor.

i guess this is one case where you can really grow in coffee industry starting from a barista.
    even for me, i was in electronic import export for 25 years. but now, for last 7 years, I am in a coffee industry, as a green bean exporter from Guatemala. so yes, it can happen if you want it enough and work hard enough and has the motivation to go thru the headaches and setbacks..

good luck to you.
    +1

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mileys1990 View Post
    [FONT="]Hey Guys! I'm 25 and currently slogging away in the cyber security field which is arguably a great field to get into and the pay is great, but I absolutely hate IT and working an office job. I've developed a passion for coffee over the years from brewing to roasting and learning. I recently have been having these nagging thoughts about the fact that I feel as though I would regret it if I didn't try to get into this industry. I ultimately would love to end up in roasting or owning a shop, but honestly if I could do anything in the industry I would be happy. My fiancee who is a chef, but has a lot of money saved up has said that maybe I should dive in for 6 months or so to see if I can hack it.[/FONT]
    I'm certainly willing to do my time. Is Barista a good entry point into the industry? I know that it is probably the most available job, but is it a dead-end for advancing? Do any of you guys have any experience just diving in and hoping (working your ass of) for the best? I'd love to hear your stories.
    Is it possible for you to keep your day job, and find a part-time job (weekends or evenings) at a local coffee shop? That way, you'd get some experience, and you'd see if you actually like working in the coffee business. So many people, who have a passion for coffee, fantasize about working in the business, and then they discover it isn't close to what they imagined it would be. Plus, if you save your hard earned dollars, you'll have money to fall back on in case you decide to take the plunge full time. Don't depend on your finance to support you financially while you figure out what you want to be when you grow up. Even though it's very tempting to let someone take care of you while you figure out your next career choice, it's a quick way to erode and destroy a relationship.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links