Help and Advice Please: Rate of Rise on New Toper 20kg Issue

Cab78

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
I am roasting 15kg of beans on a new 20kg toper. The maximum ror I can achieve is 4.2 degrees c every 30 seconds but want to achieve 5 degrees every 30 seconds. The flame is just touching the base of the drum, the air low on second notch to closed and I’m dropping in at 185 degrees.
Any advice on how to get a higher ror welcome as I would like to reach fc a bit faster than current, Thanks.

Charging your roaster at a higher temperature would reduce your FC time.
Choosing a good charge temperature depends on many things.
In a hot climate, lower charge temperatures are OK.
In a colder climate, you might need a higher charge temperature.
I charge my roaster at up to 215C and have never experienced any scorching.
I roast in North Carolina, which is hot/humid in Summer and too cold for my liking in Winter.
In the depths of NC Winter, I run with very, very low airflow until about 60C.
Here is a good article I just found about charge temperature:
https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/09/coffee-roasting-guide-control-charge-temperature/

Maybe your gas pressure is too low.
Do you have a gas pressure gauge?

Cab78

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

its around 5 degrees where I’m roasting so quite cold. I will try a higher drop in temp and see how that goes.

i have a gas gauge and the pressure is good.

out of interest how much do you change the drop temp between summer and winter to get the same flavour result?

Charging your roaster at a higher temperature would reduce your FC time.
Choosing a good charge temperature depends on many things.
In a hot climate, lower charge temperatures are OK.
In a colder climate, you might need a higher charge temperature.
I charge my roaster at up to 215C and have never experienced any scorching.
I roast in North Carolina, which is hot/humid in Summer and too cold for my liking in Winter.
In the depths of NC Winter, I run with very, very low airflow until about 60C.
Here is a good article I just found about charge temperature:

Maybe your gas pressure is too low.
Do you have a gas pressure gauge?

Cab78

Jan 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, I’m going to increase the charge temp and see if that helps.

im running at about 14.5 mins total roast time but would like to reduce by a minute.

Increase your charge temp or lower your load. What is your total time your shooting for? That's pretty fast IMO...

almico

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it is a matter of charge temp. 20* +/- is not going to make a big difference once 15kg of beans hits that drum. You need more BTUs in the ramp.

What is the ambient temperature of the stored beans? If they are being stored in a cold room then that is part of your issue.
What is the ambient temperature in the room?
What is the turn around temp?

I have a Turkish roaster as well. It's 5kg and I found it to be quite unpowered when I initially set it up. I had plenty of gas pressure coming in, but there is a secondary regulator incorporated into the safety valve on the roaster. It was set very low from the factory. I turned it up a bit and now I have BTUs to spare. I can get to Dry in 3 minutes and 1C in 5 with an 80% charge if I wanted.

Last edited: