Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    hats off to wmark Thanks Musicphan...I try not to use the computer when I am at home so I missed this yesterday.
    Mr.Peaberry...I knew a guy who flew to Africa and watched his coffee loaded on a ship. He met the ship stateside. Opened his container and the coffee was swapped for rocks and twigs. 42000 lbs of Kenya AA gone. I would die. He had such bad luck. He lost a container in Haiti. The driver called and said he wanted more money three times. The last time he put his foot down. Container disappeared.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    Wow.......all I can say is wow.

How polite is that Rose ?
    Nicely done, wmark. Thanks . . .

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    hats off to wmark Thanks Musicphan...I try not to use the computer when I am at home so I missed this yesterday.
    Mr.Peaberry...I knew a guy who flew to Africa and watched his coffee loaded on a ship. He met the ship stateside. Opened his container and the coffee was swapped for rocks and twigs. 42000 lbs of Kenya AA gone. I would die. He had such bad luck. He lost a container in Haiti. The driver called and said he wanted more money three times. The last time he put his foot down. Container disappeared.
    Holy crap. That would raise my blood pressure a tad..lol!

I know a guy who exports coffee in Guatemala ! A shipment of microlot estate coffee was being shipped to a client in Australia, but the beans that arrived were rather common co-op beans. That experience, plus a subsequent experience where the shipping was delayed by months as the export company serviced larger "preferred" clients cost him a customer.

Seems the world of coffee is not much different than the world of the internet. Success seems to favor those who establish good relationships rather than chasing a "too-goog-to-be-true" deal.

Well, when I first started looking at doing things independently, I guy I know laughed at me and said that as a gringo you are more or less screwed. You have to know the system and have to be on the ground watching your exact container loaded and unloaded. You also have to grease the exporter and the people on the dock. Nothing in Latin America is transparent. What seems transparent is subject to interpretation by the person with their hand out.

Africa, parts of the middle East and Asia are much the same and maybe worse.

The only (African) country that might be buying decent volumes of (other country) beans is South Africa and it is mostly one buyer

From what I have seen in Guatemala, the whole system is biased toward the large co ops as they control most of the milling/processing.
    When they are not busy, they will consider your requests .........which means that you could be waiting a long long time.

Please inform if otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post

I guess they forgot the "subject to post shipment sample" eh ?
    I guess if you are dealing with crooks, they will take anything you give them as it is something plus whatever they sold the container for

Is there anyway to put the responsibility for shipping on the seller and pay cash on delivery or partial payment up front with the balance due upon successful delivery at it's destination?
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Letter of Credit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links