Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Pods

Coffee Pods

Coffee Pod definition: A coffee pod is pre-ground coffee contained in a paper filter, ready for use in any traditional coffee machine.

Who has used coffee pods at home or their business?

I am wondering if they are worthwhile investments, do they make good coffee? Are they easy to clean up? What made you decide to try a coffee pod?

If you have never used them, What would it take for you to try them out?
    The man with the many Coffee hats.

It sounds like a 'coffee bag'. These were something I came across about ten years ago. They were similar to tea bags and (as I recall) produced a reasonable cup. However, I haven't seen them on the shelves for ages - it wouldn't surprise me if the coffee went off too quickly... or maybe it was a good idea but just didn't catch on enough for companies to bother pursuing it.

It certainly tasted better than instant coffee but with less mess than ground coffee.

Wulf

Interesting history lesson, I always assumed something like your defined "coffee bag" existed but never had anyone actually mention it specifically.

But alas, The coffee pods I described are not for single usage, maybe on espresso machines, but they are trying to be sold to coffee shops as a new way to make coffee. Frankly I expect that someone in the middle of nowhere that doesn't have anything to do with coffee thought up the idea and is trying to market it. From what I have seen so far, I would be afraid the grinds become stale before you even get them home or your shop, let alone time spent in storage before their days use.
    The man with the many Coffee hats.

These sound like the bags in hotel rooms... Little square "packets" of coffee inside a filter that you pop into the filter basket of the in-room drip machine. I've only seen the usual store variety, such as Folger's or Maxwell House. They're always sealed individually when I see them. Not great coffee, but after you've been traveling and need to wake up, it resembles some sort of coffee product. It's definitely not something I'd use on purpose, and I certainly wouldn't frequent a shop that used them.

Super Moderator
    Pods are crap...that is just my opinion...a great espresso can only be made with freshly ground coffee! I have tried them before...and it wasn't good at all!
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Crap, Schmap

Quote Originally Posted by topher
    Pods are crap...that is just my opinion...a great espresso can only be made with freshly ground coffee! I have tried them before...and it wasn't good at all!
    There is a kiosk near where I work that has tossed out their barista equipment and installed pod clients. Tried it, hated it. Crema was a little yellow ring around the edge, burnt/thin flavor.

Calling it crap give crap coffee a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by wulf
    It sounds like a 'coffee bag'. These were something I came across about ten years ago. They were similar to tea bags and (as I recall) produced a reasonable cup. However, I haven't seen them on the shelves for ages - it wouldn't surprise me if the coffee went off too quickly... or maybe it was a good idea but just didn't catch on enough for companies to bother pursuing it.

It certainly tasted better than instant coffee but with less mess than ground coffee.

Wulf
    Wow, I guess it WAS 10 years ago now! They are still readily available in the US. They were extremely popular among University students when they came out.

Super Moderator
    When the coffee bags came out or the University students? Its early and I am confused...need more coffee from fresh grounds....That is the way coffee should be made not from instant...and not from pre-ground packs
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Shakey

I have a nice Guat here, for a price

Quote Originally Posted by notmuffy
    Wow, I guess it WAS 10 years ago now! .... They were extremely popular among University students when they came out.
    Funnily, I was a university student at the time - actually, I think it was about THIRTEEN years ago when I started uni and my mum packed me off with a bunch of supplies to keep me going...

It was a thoughtful present but too expensive for me to keep up (I lived quite frugally and made it though my studies without incurring any debt!). I can't recall exactly what I did do for coffee (there might be a repressed memory of the cheapest coffee powder drifting around in there) but I certainly got into the habit of getting several goes out teabags....

Fast foward to the present and I'm quite happy for coffee bags to remain an experience in my past

Wulf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links