Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opening a coffee shop

Hi. I am also interested in opening a coffee shop in my hometown. I've been dreaming about it for a few years. I've started to write a business plan but I have some questions maybe someone out there could help me with.

1) Is it necessary to have experience in the coffee industry? I have none but I love to drink and relax in a coffee shop environment.
    2) Where can I find industry information specifically about the coffee bar or coffee industry?

3) I know it varies but what are some estimates on the cost to open a coffee shop?

Thanks!

new coffee shop

I have just been partnered in a huge coffee plantation in Chiapas Mexico. This plantation has never distributed any coffee beans in the United States, so of course Im taking it upon myself to start. I just need contacts. Maybe we can help each other.

Hey Grovie:

Hi. I am also interested in opening a coffee shop in my hometown. I've been dreaming about it for a few years. I've started to write a business plan but I have some questions maybe someone out there could help me with.

I have a FREE commercial catalog on our site. Feel free to visit and print out the catalog. This will give you a good starting point and answer most of your questions. If you have more questions give us a call.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Re: Opening a coffee shop

1) Is it necessary to have experience in the coffee industry? I have none but I love to drink and relax in a coffee shop environment.
    2) Where can I find industry information specifically about the coffee bar or coffee industry?

3) I know it varies but what are some estimates on the cost to open a coffee shop?

Not sure how fast you are looking into opening a location but i think experience is important. few reasons for that is
    1. making an espresso beverage is almost an art form.
    2. being familiar with the equiptment.
    I would sujest working as a coffee bar attendant for at least a year.

You can find tons of info on the net just by doing searches..coffee..espresso machines

Last bar i installed total cost was about $40,000. We purchased all the equiptment and had a contractor design and build the bar.

Hope this helps some
    Dave

Not discouraged

Javaman,

Thanks for the reply. I am a little concerned about my lack of experience but there has to be a better way than spending a year in an espresson bar. Are there any crash courses out there available.

My thoughts were that I would hire an expereinced coffee bar employee or two, depending on the need. I could run the business end and learn the coffee side in depth while they make the drinks early on.

My idea is a coffee lounge/internet kiosk extablishment. I do have the start-up capital and I am in the process of writing a business plan.

Adam

Super Moderator
    In my opinion it is bad to hire people with experience...it is best to be experienced before you go off on your own....it is hard to re-train people...and how can you train people to do what you want when you do not even know what is correct?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Hey Grovie:

Have you had a chance to visit our site yet? Our catalog will give you a valuable starting point.

--edited by administration--
    "A Word of Difference"TM

experience

About the question of needing experience...
    No matter if you do a crash course or not, making expresso coffee is an art that can take years to perfect. There are so many things that can only be learnt on the job nd if you start a buisiness with not much experience then people will not return to your shop after their first visit. To open a buisiness where the reputation is earnt by people's first visit you must have everything perfect when the shop first opens!
    R*SE

Rose:

I admire anyone with determination. However, you must take the first step. And that step is to take a chance. No one is perfect, and experience has taught me through the years that our success did not come from having everything perfect before we opened the doors to our first operation. In fact our first customers knew that we were starting out, and they were willing to give us that chance. If you are wanting to open your business, my advise is to do so. If you waiting for everything to be perfect, then you may never open. My first question to those wanting to get into the espresso business is a simple to the point question, "Are you a dreamer or a dream maker?" If you are the latter, then prove it to yourself. I can't speak for others that have started this kind of business, but I'm almost willing to bet the farm that they didn't have everything perfect when they first opened either.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Thanks Coffee Guy!

Boy I was getting kind of discouraged reading Rose's reply. OK, so I don't know how to make a great espresso but I do have a true desire to open an enterprise that serves drinks like i like them to taste and better. I know the coffee drinks are very important but it is the ambience and the total package of the establishment that i hope will attract customers. As I stated earlier I have started to write a business plan. I have the perfect neighborhood picked between a growing college and a few burgeoning upscale housing developments.

Coffee Guy, I found your website and the catalog is a big help. Thanks! I'm also using the book Espresso! mentioned in some other posts. This is mainly a feasibility study but I think the potential is there.

I do have a few new questions though for anyone reading this...

Are there any success stories out there from folks who have been in the position I am in now? When did you begin to break even and how did you get there?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links