Bottomless Portafilter

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
In answer to your questions:

1) I think the best reason to have one is for a barista to evaluate their dose/ distribution/ tamp. Being very visual you can learn alot about what you are doing wrong/right. I gave one to my barista a while back and his shot perfection percentage has increased dramatically. He uses it in his training classes too.

2) Because it is so visually appealing it has gained huge momentum. There are cafes here in OZ that use them for every coffee. In my opinion they alter the taste too dramaticaly and give a really airated crema. The shots they produce just dont have the finish of a regular pf.

I think they are great for training but I couldnt use them for drinking shots.

jmeiss

Dec 5, 2005
Lenexa, Kansas
Visit site
nzroaster said:
1) I think the best reason to have one is for a barista to evaluate their dose/ distribution/ tamp. Being very visual you can learn alot about what you are doing wrong/right. I gave one to my barista a while back and his shot perfection percentage has increased dramatically. He uses it in his training classes too.

What about the bottomless helps you learn about what you are doing wrong/wright? Showing my "newbieness".....

-Jeremy