How many lbs of coffee can a store go through wkly/mntly?

Jan 9, 2006
NYC
Visit site
I was just wondering how many pounds of coffee of a particular brand an avg store might go through in a week/ or a months time?
If I were to sell to a store, and their customers liked it.
Would 100 lbs per week be a safe number?
Thank you

Ash

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Re: How many lbs of coffee can a store go through wkly/mntly

Krikorian International said:
I was just wondering how many pounds of coffee of a particular brand an avg store might go through in a week/ or a months time?
If I were to sell to a store, and their customers liked it.
Would 100 lbs per week be a safe number?
Thank you

Ash

Are you planning on selling coffee wholesale to coffee shops for out-of-home consumption or retail grocery chains intended for in-home use? The answer to your question is very different if you are asking "how much Folger's coffee does the average Kroger sell per week?" instead of "how much coffee does the typical independent coffee house use in the production of its beverages per week?"

I'll make the guess that you are referring to the latter.

If you are speaking of a coffee shop serving two or three hundred brewed and espresso beverages per day, an average use of 35-45 lbs per week is a more reasonable estimate.

Take into consideration that this is not necessarily (and in fact, is rarely) one single varietal or even one blend of coffee. Most coffee shops will use a combination of coffees intended for espresso extraction and for drip extraction; often in both regular and decaffeinated forms.

Best of success,

Andrew

Jan 9, 2006
NYC
Visit site
Thank you for your reponse man.
Right now I have approached the larger chains for in home consumption. And I am waiting on their responses.
My question was regarding smaller coffee shops.
If I were to bring in a container of coffee from Venezuela.
(that is roughly 15,000 lbs of coffee)

If the avg shop would be able to push 100 lbs per week, that means I would need to sell to approximately 40 shops monthly.
But based on what you are saying 30 lbs per week is more realistic?
So that would mean something like 100 shops?
On a monthly basis for a container?
Does that sound realistic?

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
pretty much most cafes are NOT going to use ONLY venezualan coffee for EVERYTHING. So NO you can not expect to get a cafe to buy 40 pounds a week of venezualan coffee from you unless the are pretty busy.

We have a lot of cafe customers who buy 70-100 pounds per week. They could definitely buy 30-40 pounds of a single origin per week. If your model is to buy a container on the cheap and then sell it cause you have it I would seriously rething the model. If it is adding to an existig wholesale roastery then go for it!

Andrew at cafemakers can help you a ton if you bring him in to help. He knows his stuff big time and is very connected.