Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opening a drive-thru and exchanging advice

I could have sworn I posted to this message board before, but I cannot find my previous message.

We have been in the espresso coffee business off and on for 14 years. We've had two walk-in coffee shops in Oregon and Idaho. We've recently moved to Missouri and we have decided to open a drive-thru. We have our equipment and we know what we are doing as far as working with health department and running this sort of business.

What we DON'T know is how to set up a portable business. We will have power at the site...but we need to use tanks for water and gray water. We are building our own 8x10 building...which is a bit overwhelming. We just can't afford to spend the fortune many coffee kiosk/drive-thru manufacturers are asking. We would love to have someone to bounce questions off of. We've seen coffee consultants out there who offer advice, but it seems that we really don't need this service as these are geared to the beginning coffee shop owner.

At the same time...we are happy to help others who might have general coffee shop questions.

Sandie

cbc

Coffee Shop

I just had to respond. We too have had an espresso shop which was drive-thru in Missouri. We just relocated to Oregon and are opening a drive-thru as well. It would be great to exchange some ideas.

cbc

Drive-thru

One more thing, you noted your building an 8 x 10 building. We also recently decided to build our own as well. Right now I just need to draw the plans, it seems so silly to pay another company thousands of dollars to build one. My step-father has volunteered to build it, did you get your plans anywhere online?

Pilgrim:We've seen coffee consultants out there who offer advice, but it seems that we really don't need this service as these are geared to the beginning coffee shop owner.

[cbc:Right now I just need to draw the plans, it seems so silly to pay another company thousands of dollars to build one.

I just had to chime in. Since you are both experienced in the coffee business, it should be easier to start the next one, especially if your previous one was successful. There is nothing wrong with investing for the expertise (time) of a consultant to help you start something you are not familiar with? Most consultants (myself included) usually don't mind answering a few questions, it's when the questions become more detailed in nature, then the clock begins to tick. There really isn't anything new under the sun, just how you apply your time and effort. As for drive thru buildings, if you can build it to code, that's always a good way to go and if you consider going 8X12 or 10X12 you will allow yourself a little more elbow room, 3 compartment sink, and a little more storage space.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Drive Thru's

I too am in the process of opening drive thru's in MIchigan. I am having a building built by a pre fab manufacturer. It will be shipped to the site and set on a slab. Self contained plumbing, i.e. grey water and spring water bottles. Mine is 10 X 12 with a 3-comp sink and mop sink, both of which are required by health depts. here.

That's great rbduha! When do you plan to open?
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Drive Thru's

As soon as I can find a site. Literally. I am moving ahead on site location daily.

Drive Thru's

My next question: What is an alternative to a dipper well. I will be using bottled spring water and couldn't possibly use a dipper well. Are there any alternatives that the health department would approve?

Hi rbduha:

I'm not familiar with the term dipper well? Are you speaking of an actual well for your water, or tap water from a spicket? Using bottled water will be quite expensive and will cause your cost of goods to go through the ceiling. Are you able to find a location that has water lines or someone close enough that you can fill using fresh water tanks? I'd look for those things first.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Dipper Well

The stainless steel container with constantly running water where you put your spoons when making espresso.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links