edl

suggestions for drive-thru hours??

I'm looking at opening up a drive-thru coffee stand, and was wondering about typical hours for being open. I've read that most business is done before noon, but is it typical to have enough business in the afternoon to keep the stand open anyway?

Also, how much business is typically done on Sunday? Is it possible to have a profitable drive-thru that's not open on Sunday?

Thanks for your help!

Hi edl:

Basically hours will depend on your location. Meaning if your location is on the main drag on the morning side where commuters are going to work, then you would open early (commuter traffic time). Most are at work by 10 am. As for the same traffic heading home it will be less busy, however, you will still get some of that return traffic. Sundays are usually good days as well since most are heading to church and customers will frequent your location providing that you are convenient for them. If you have a location in mind, then you should do your own traffic count. Something like this will take you a couple of hours to do. This will give you an idea of what the true traffic patterns look like in that area. Well those are a few things to get you started. Good luck
    "A Word of Difference"TM

I own a drive thru and it's still kinda hard for me predicting hours.

I'm open 7 days a week but after the summer, I'm going to cut back. Sundays are short days anyway so I'll probably close on sundays.

You're right in that most of my morning business is done by 11am and there is that afternoon lull when very little happens but then school lets out and things pick up again until after 4:30pm.

edl
    Thanks much for the advice!!
    I'm currently still in the research stage, but this all helps in making the decision - thanks!

This is also true for my drive-thru shop. between 10-11am things die out, although many people do try to make it here during their lunch hour as well, but that so far seems very random.

I am considering opening in a split shift. Hit the morning hours and then after school/evening. Closed somewhere between 12 noon - 4P, although I have not decided and currently open 6a-1p.

Our drive thru seems busiest from 6:30am to about 10:30am and then from 5pm to 7pm. It's open all day but the other hours are slow.

Coffe Guy,

Im really just starting the research process and I have a question for you or anyone who could give input.

I am from Seattle, now living in near the border in CA, however during all of my research all I see is roasters, suppliers, and people offering information such as yourself from the Seattle area.

Is it a bad idea to get involved with a company so far away from where I intend to operate?

Jason

JASON, no it's cool, to goto the source of NW JAVA,,,hehe I meant the coffee warzone...oops I meant: the place where it was statred and continues to be refined......We are so involved in helping other in this area each day, we are on top of our game, and in these days of cell phones and the i-net, with fast efficient shipping.....It's a great idea to look north for qauality and assistance.
    Ciao, Baby! Di Crema is rising!

What??? L.C.C. I'm confused Just kidding...Jason, he's right. Distance is not so much of a factor these days. The internet has made it possible for everything from ordering, to shipping, to payment options much easier. Additionally, if you are from here (Seattle), then you are knowledgable about your coffee. So to answer your question, by all means order from home (Seattle). I'm sure that someone from the "Great North West" would be happy to take care of you.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links