javajoz.com vs. mountainmudd.com, coffee from kiosks model

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Hello everyone!

There is a battle brewing in the nascent "gourmet coffee from a high speed service kiosk" market.

Two players that we are looking at to invest in are Java Jo'z, www.javajoz.com and Mountain Mudd, www.mountainmudd.com .

Basically, the pre-manufactured housing market guys have found a new market to build kiosks serving up hot cup's of gourmet joe. High speed delivery system (no waiting for the nose-ringed platinum blonde w. black nail polish to finish her cell phone conversation before she hits the espresso machine) as well as a lower cost to the consumer.

Rumors abound about the return on investment, but some of the vendors are said to have generated upwards of $70k bottom line pure profit in these ventures in the first year. Pretty good for a first year ROI.

From what I have gathered so far, the Java Jo's offering is $100,000 + startup cost, not including the real estate, advertising, etc. They seem to have the most well made, element resistant kiosk offering vs. the Mountain Mudd offering. I'd like to know if there are any other vendors out there (MM's or JJ's) and what their thoughts are about the business.

Respectfully,

Microserf

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Espresso Drive Through's

Here's a ton of links covering the industry:

Additional listings

Coffee drive-thru, espresso drive-thru business, coffee stand business program
How to open and operate a successfull espresso coffee drive-thru or coffee bar ... like to do. While here in the Northwest drive-thru espresso stands have been in operation for some time ...
www.espressobusiness.com/drive-thru.htm

Java Jo'z - Coffee, Cappuccino, Espresso Drive Thru Business Opportunity
... with Java Jo’z Drive-Thru specialty coffee locations ... of doing business, which stands head and shoulders above our competition. When you join the ranks of Java Jo’z Drive-Thru owners, you’re ...
www.javajoz.com

http://www.ezdrivethruespresso.com/info.asp
... business, coffee business, drive thru business, espresso, late stands Home Your Drive Thru Business Starts here ... standsEspresso, espresso stands, coffee, coffee beans, drive thru. Coffee ...
www.ezdrivethruespresso.com/info.asp

Heavenly Cappuccino, espresso bars and drive-thru locations nationwide
Heavenly Cappuccino coffee stands and drive through locations serving the finest espresso beverages nationwide. ... coffee, employment, franchise, drive-thru, Brett Willard, New York ...
www.heavenlycappuccino.com

Best Drive-Thru Espresso
Best Drive-Thru Espresso by Susan Hamilton Best Drive-Thru Espresso -- Jacob's Java -- With our warp-speed ... Jacob have six fueling, er, espresso stands throughout the Inland Northwest that ...
www.inlander.com/bestof2003/309549204025754.php

Are there specialty coffee shops and/or espresso stands in the town where you live? (Survey Central)
Survey Central is an interactive site where anyone can sign up to fill-out and ... shops and/or espresso stands in the ... we have drive-thru only - does that count as an espresso stand? SueBee ...
surveycentral.org/survey/2832.html

Espresso Stands
Espresso Stands Espresso Stands We Can Customize your Espresso Stand to your specifications. Drive-thru's are also available. We offer espresso labs at our site. Education is key in running a ...
www.crossroads-espresso.com/EspressoStands.htm

Straight From Seattle Espresso: Pictures
... with its new turnkey Drive-Thru Solutions package. The drive ... the Kiosk II, a drive-through espresso bar. Offers custom design options ... or mobile carts, stands and kiosks. Carts available from ...
www.espressouniverse.com/press3.html

Aroma Joe's Drive-Thru Coffee
... in the coffee and espresso industry." Thanks for checking us ... through one of our stands to have an outstanding experience ... by using the innovative Double Drive-Thru ensuring that our hand ...
www.aromajoes.com

Jo's Java and Ice Cream * Coffee List
Drive-Thru Coffee House / Ice Cream Stand Whole Bean Coffee At Jo’s Java and ... coffee beans to create a decaf espresso blend with a rich intensity that stands up to milk and syrups. This ...
www.josjava.com/coffee.html

Taylor Dakota/Javasupply: Hot New Products: Concession Stands and Trailers
... coffee brewing devices, glassware, espresso machines, foodservice supplies, concession ... ND 58504 1-800-279-6151 Concession Stands and Drive-thru Buildings by Click to view larger version ...
www.therestaurantoutfitter.com/trailers.htm

Caffe Orsini - Full service coffee and espresso supplier to the industry.
... Whether you own a restaurant, cafe, or espresso drive thru, we have a machine to fit your needs. Click ... accessories. Elektra is the brand name that stands for expertise and know-how. An enterprise ...
www.caffeorsini.com/equipment.htm

Mail Tribune News - Coffee brewhaha goes to City Council
... to consider new drive-thru rules that would put espresso stands on equal ... or staying?" Mellelo agreed. Lines at espresso stands and other drive-thru windows also contribute to traffic ...
www.mailtribune.com/archive/2000/august/081000n2.htm

Bellas Frozen Custard Drive Through Kiosk Business Opportunity
... folks with Bella’s Drive-Thru specialty Frozen Custard ... of doing business, which stands head and shoulders ... added Frozen Custard, espresso and cappuccino drive through Kiosks for the ...
www.bellas-custard.com

Mugs, pens T-Shirts and other Wholesale giveaways - Business
... Hats- Get your Company name stands out on top your potential Customers Head ... design and start-up a coffee shop, an espresso bar or a coffee drive-thru... 15/P, 8/L, 1210/S http://caffe ...
www.jodime.com/links/business.html

Bay Weekly
... indeed a drive-thru world, consider this: drive-thru espresso. Along that two-lane stretch of General's ... from - where else? - Seattle, where coffee stands are common. Shane Fortney, Heather's ...
www.bayweekly.com/year00/issue8_46/life8_46.html

Neon Signs
Home Sign Stands More Sign Stands Easels Vehicle Lettering ... Red 5"H 24Hrs:Green 5" H Drive-Thru: Blue 4" H Open: Red 6" H ... 00 DVD: Pink 10" H Espresso: Green 8" H Line: White Espresso ...
www.sdsignco.com/Neon.htm

contents
... ice, ice maker, scotsman wells frymaster espresso machines, grinders, espresso, restaurant ... system, signs, indoor menu, out door menu, drive thru system drink dispenser,refrigerated drink ...
www.arrowreste.com/99web/frame-co.htm

EM magazine ::Vol. 0I Issue 002 ::SEATTLE COFFEE CULTURE
... has been an emergence of small espresso/latté stands strewn about the city at various locations. Each ... or are on the run, there are coffee stand drive-thru's. I've seen more of these near suburbs ...
www.evilmonito.com/002/seattle2.htm

rbduha

Feb 20, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Thanks for that reply. Anyone thinks they are going to get a Mcdonalds franchise for $100K is dreaming. I do agree that after opening the most important thing a franchise can offer you is marketing and advertising expertise. I have worked for franchises for over 20 years, Domino's and The Coffee Beanery, and sales are the issue the franchisor can help you increase. Most distributors of specialty coffee will help you with equipment and training of staff. Check out Dillano's or Fox Hollow. Once you get open that becomes secondary to sales.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
WOW!!! :twisted: Lots of info...In my humble opinion what works best is something simple. In other words the KISS method. There are those that wish to make their marks by buying into a franchise and spending the money to help the franchisor make more money. There's also those that wish to make a mark on their own and hopefully build something meaningful whereas they can feel a sense of personal accomplishment, and there are those stuck somewhere in the middle.

All of these operations have their place, if they didn't, they would not be around doing business. Personally, I prefer to assist those in achieving their dreams. For 10 years we've specialized in helping the little guy start their business, stay with them with not only equipment and coffee sales, but actually become close friends with each and continue to provide them with support. How many customers can reach their coffee company 7 days a week, even after hours? It's great to have the freedom of choice, even better to have many choices. It just all boils down to what works for you. If this sounds good to you without all of the hipe...visit our site sometime. This is a big industry and there are a lot of so called experts, but the one thing to keep in mind is to help your customer.

O.K. enough, I gotta go :lol:

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Hi Coffee Guy, what's your website url?

That HotHotCoolCool site, looks a "tad" bit fly by night.. Cool looking drive through unit, but what about the reg's for the water, restroom, cleaning facilities, etc.. It looks nice, but is it up to snuff w. respect to cleanliness, production capability, and local codes?

So far, www.javajoz.com is looking pretty good to our investor group.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
shoot if you want smoke blown...I will tell you what you want to hear..most people do not want to hear the cold hard facts..coffee industry is alot of hours....hard work....listening to people who know more about coffee than us..sigh...never mind!

microserf

Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
I appreciate all the input and feedback. That's the point of these forums, to get the "inside scoop" and the real world experiences of people in the trenches. We've got to know what the reality is, in order to make an informed decision. Even the borderline comments are helpful to me in figuring out which way to go, negative or positive. Hype and braggadocio do not sway me, been in business too long in other industries to be fooled by that. 8)

Unfortunately, the folks who I'm really looking for, the people that are actually either deploying the Java Joz or Mountain Mudd program's are either non-existent, happily making their cash and don't want to spread the word, or are so traumatized by their experience that they don't wish to prolong the pain by discussing it in a public forum. I'd hoped that at least one or two of them would have found this forum by now to share their experiences, but alas, such is not the case.

Either way, I appreciate everyone for the input!

ms

Responding to your concerns...

Just to answer a few concerns...Hotspot Coffee is indeed designed to meet all local and state regulations nationwide. Hotspot Coffee drive thru's are operated from an approved commissary where restrooms and storage would be located. As for cleanliness, one word...spotless. As for production capabilities, we offer top of the line equipment such as the La Marzocco FB70 Espresso Machine, Swift Grinder, Blend-tec blender, etc. If there are any other concerns, feel free to respond to this forum or email us. Look forward to hearing from you.

www.hothothotcoolcoolcool.com

burntjava

Apr 20, 2004
Visit site
Re: javajoz.com vs. mountainmudd.com, coffee from kiosks mod

microserf said:
From what I have gathered so far, the Java Jo's offering is $100,000 + startup cost, not including the real estate, advertising, etc. They seem to have the most well made, element resistant kiosk offering vs. the Mountain Mudd offering. I'd like to know if there are any other vendors out there (MM's or JJ's) and what their thoughts are about the business.

Before I invest a dime in any business venture I want to make sure that the people I am dealing with are reputable.

The first thing I do is "Google" the company I want to learn more about, then look at their local state and county records for possible improprieties. Next thing I do is go straight to the heart and speak with former clients and business partners. I did this with both Java Joz and Mountain Mudd and the results raise some eyebrows. All these links and subjective data don't mean a thing to me till I check into the company first.

Just my two beans worth. BJ