Questions about selling drip type coffee

SHalland

Feb 17, 2006
Montana
Visit site
We are a very small roasting company, and we are just starting out. We have a wonderful opportunity to sell our coffee beans in a local Farmers Market. The catch is that we must sell just plain old drip coffee, we see it as just a marketing tool to get people to buy our beans, but we can't just sell them because they are not "Locally grown". So, what I was wondering is - does anyone have any great ideas for us, like what would be the best way to make this coffee? We think we will be selling around 160-200 cups a day (that is what we were told by the market manager) What would be the best way to keep it until we sell it, just anything you know that would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If you sell 200 12 oz. coffees, that is over 14 gallons! Are you going to brew on premises? If not, you will need several hot beverage storage containers. The last time I checked, each container could cost close to $150.00. Your other problem if brewing off site will be, how are you going to brew 14 gallons of coffee without spending hours to do it.

If it were me, I would buy a commercial Toddy brewer, and make americano's with your house blend. La Crema Coffee posted this link on another thread, that would be perfect for your application.
http://www.filtron.com/

You could brew a small batch consisting of 3 gallons of Toddy the day before, and use 2 oz. of Toddy for every 10 oz. of hot water. Toddy will last for at least 8 to 10 days under refrigeration, so if you only sell 100 cups of americano's the first week, you could keep the Toddy until the next Farmers Market day.

You will need a supply of 190 degree water, or hotter. I received an electric hot water pot for Christmas last year that will boil 32 ounces of water in about 2 1/2 minutes. You need to find a commercial one that will boil two quarts or more at a time.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Coffee cannot be consumed until it is roasted. Can you be within paramaters as it is locally roasted?

If you are highlighting your coffee,I would personally recommend brewing press pot method using 1 liter or larger french press and moving to thermal carafe, rotating every 30-45 minutes max. Or use a melitta (pour over) filter and brew by the cup.

If you think drip is your only option (although possibly difficult and really not the best 'showcase' of your coffees)-- If you have a portable water supply and a flojet pump or similar then you can brew fresh coffee every 45 minutes. I wouldn't recommend brewing huge bulk masses of coffee and selling it until its gone. If you are using this as a tool to sell your beans, then you need to maintain strict standards on rotating your coffees.

I'm not sure how many coffees you offer, but you could offer 2-3 at a time in airpots and rotate to new coffees each time so you can get exposure for your coffees. I would have good literature focusing on your locally roasted, non-chain, yada yada coffee as well. If you can't brew fresh coffee, and I mean fresh coffee, throughout your day there, then I wouldn't bother. I am sure there are others with experience on a set up that is feasible. Again, I would recommend a good portable hot water dispenser (i.e. Zojirushi hot water dispenser or similar), and press or Melitta.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
If you are the roaster - the coffee is fresh roasted locally. Coffee is like produce or bread or fresh baked pies...does the farmer's market have local bakery vendors?

Consider setting up an espresso machine and brewing espresso/americano/cappuccino, etc. You would need electricity, 5gallon water bottles, Flojet pump, buckets for waste water/grey water. ice chest/cooler/fridge for local dairy product. Fresh made to order beats toddy or cambro dispensed urn coffee.
If you can't do espresso, perhaps a bunch of Melitta style pour-over cones, or the new stand from "Innovated Products", or a few French Press pots - all you would need is hot water, coffee and a grinder. You might even stir up some sales of French presses.

SHalland

Feb 17, 2006
Montana
Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas! There is already an espresso vender, they came to me asking for me to make "drip" coffee. They have a big demand for just a plain cup of coffee. I have talked round and round with the powers that be, and they just don't see fresh roasted coffee as a local product, unless it is in a cup. Let me know if you have any more suggestions, I really appreciate them all.