Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks, CafeBlue... I am glad that it is not impossible to do and that it may benefit me. The pad site will be on a busy county road, surrounded by a hospital and medical building, and just off of the Garden State Parkway. There are a couple of daycares that I would be on the way. Its on the right side of commuter "going to work" traffic, too.

I will be sure to do a search on drive thrus. Its funny because its not something I even thought I would be able to do, until I learned about this property.
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

"Don't laugh at the coffee. Someday you may be old and weak, too."

Personally I would be quite excited about the addition of the drive thru, there again Starbucks has done your home work for you, they know it is a good thing to do business wise. I have to disagree with the statement that " coffee is not a convenience". While in a perfect world maybe we should always take the time to sit down and enjoy our coffee but it isn't a perfect world and why should someone in a hurry be forced to drink bad coffee because we are not willing to provide a service. It al comes down to what you want to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by morrisn
    ...why should someone in a hurry be forced to drink bad coffee because we are not willing to provide a service. It all comes down to what you want to provide.
    Thanks! And, unlike Starwhatever, we feel that good coffee should be aforable for all. The best part is when I roast at home and the grind a brew and someone tastes that truly fresh quality coffee for the first time. The reaction is priceless.
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

Asheville, NC (Little Paris of the South)
    Hi Aj,

I like the greasy spoon. What will you serve? What is the price? You will not be a diner that is obvious. You will be a coffe shop, but will you serve lunch?

The customers of the greasy spoon will be looking for a good cup of coffe and a blue plate breakfast and lunch. Is that part of your plan?

If you want what most coffe shops want, pastries and lite lunch fare then who else would your customers be besides truckers? Truckers will visit your location if you have fast service that is a normal meal (breakfast of eggs and bacon and lunch of hamburgers and a blue plate special.)

If you do buy a "Truckers Special" expect them to want that. But if it is a LOCATION by a college or downtown, then you can change that perception.

My advice, look at the current cliente. Judge from that, but keep in mind whether or not it could be changed!!
    HAPPY CHICK CAFE
    Keep doing what you're doing and keep getting what you've got!

Hi, cherylann324... Thanks for your interest. After a little further investigation, I decided not to pursue that location. There are people who for YEARS have been going there for breakfast and lunch and I wouldn't offer most of what is on the current menu. And, I don't want to start off on the wrong foot. Plus, after doing a walk thru, there is a LARGE storage shed attached to the building (with all of the freezers and storage) that has to be removed because of some thing with the municipality. So, I wouldn't have that and the addition hasn't officially been approved yet. So, I would have very little room for the roaster and next to no storage for the bags of green beans.

So, we are hopefully going to wind up at a pad site in front of a shopping center. Like someone else said, when a door closes, another one opens. I really hope this is the door for me! LOL
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AJPRATT
    Thanks! And, unlike Starwhatever, we feel that good coffee should be aforable for all. The best part is when I roast at home and the grind a brew and someone tastes that truly fresh quality coffee for the first time. The reaction is priceless.
    In support of this post, there is a coffee shop that went into the black within their first year because of what they offer. And they have a huge Coffee Exchange right across the street. It's definitely upscale but their coffee is affordable, and their coffee beans are not only affordable, they're competitive with supermarkets, and considering it takes half the beans to make the same cup, it's actually a bargain.

They roast the beans on-site, and they have a display fridge where their beans are packaged and dated. You can have them ground as well (although I never understood why someone would buy such high quality coffee and not spend $14 on a coffee grinder! Makes such a huge difference in the taste to me).

Coffee bean punch cards and coffee punch cards afford you a free whichever when you've filled the card. Supreme desserts made by the owner (small case by the checkout) and light lunch fare (very limited menu kept labor to a minimum).

There were scores of coffee shops in that location before they took over the place. All of them failed quickly and hard. Offering unsurpassed quality at accessible prices was their charm, I believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links