Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Barista and roasting training

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, and I was inspired to post here after reading a thread by the youngster who quit Starbucks. I wish him or her the best of luck.

As you can probably tell by my name, I'm no fan of Starbucks, and in my town there is one located at 'State and Main' which has become an eyesore and a kid's hangout.

I've been doing research for several weeks now and I believe I have the concept - the idea to program the 'anti-Starbucks'. Now all I need is a prime location, the money, and the training!

Seriously though, does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to where I may learn to roast coffee and learn the day to day operation of a coffee house? A 'barista school' of sorts? I've thought about getting a part-time job in a place, however, I have a very demanding full time job and travel 90 minutes (one way) to work. I live in Eastern PA. Thanks everyone!

------

--

Agreed - Since I last posted I've done some more research, including visiting a store that displays a roaster and roasts their own beans. In my mind, they don't take full advantage of the roaster because, while they do sell freshly roasted beans to the public, they don't sell beans wholesale.

I have found a local merchant whose coffee I absolutely love and who's willing to sell me roasted beans.

My problems lies in the fact that, while I have good business acumen and accounting skills, and decent marketing skills (I used to sell RE in a high end area), I don't have hands-on experience making coffee in a coffee house environment.

I read of a 'barista school', however it's in Oregon and seems quite expensive. I was wondering if there was, as an alternative to a part time job in a coffee house, any workshops on the East coast that would train one to become a barista.

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Super Moderator
    First thing...do not tell people that you are interviewing with to become a barista that you are planning to open a shop....second...I would not punk out the competition ..yes...us in the biz feel a certain way about certain companies and their business paractices but we should keep that to ourselves! Secondly I think it is hilarious that people are so quick to hate starbucks...I personally haven't had starbucks in years...but if it wasn't for them we would not be making the money that we do today...also competition is good...it keeps you are your toes....I hate bad mouthing the comp...your product should speak for itself. Just my 2 cents
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I hear what you're saying - sometimes my sense of humor is a bit irreverant. That being said, my name should be read more like someone who wants to counter-program Starbucks (i.e. create the 'anti-Starbucks) rather than someone who is against the company in general. THAT being said, I do disagree with certain business practices associated with Starbucks that happened 2 years ago (I'm new here and I don't know the taboo subjects so I'm not going into specifics).

But I agree, competition is healthy. I guess we all owe it to Starbucks for shining a big flashlight on the huge untapped potential of the gourmet coffee industry.

My concept is more of a feel-good, hang out type of place where one can drink good coffee and listen to some great music (Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Keith Jarrett). I think that the Starbucks and their ilk are becoming increasingly more for the young, as so much of the businesses usually do, and there's not much for the mid-30's and 40's crowd other than the bar scene.

Super Moderator
    As to what happened 2 years ago...if we are thinking of the same thing...that was not the corporations fault...it was someone who worked as an employee and they re-called the coffee and offered the true coffee in return. The person was charged with fraud. I am not saying that I like...or dislike the company or its product but like I said before without them you probably wouldn't have a job...I would though because I have been doing this job pre-starbucks explosion....but I would not be making the money I do now.

Topher,

Not sure we're thinking of the same thing (there's ANOTHER thing to be upset about? lol), but again, you're right. I'll change my screen name if it's offensive to anyone...

To get back on topic, I'm really torn as to whether or not to undertake this huge project, just to get a business plan in front of a banker and hear "you've never done anything related to coffee before - no deal"!

If anyone knows of a full day or multiple day workshop on the East Coast where I could gain experience in the business, I would be most appreciative!

Super Moderator
    I wasn't offended...just wish people would respect what "they" have done for the industry. The coffe world is an amazing place to be...I would not change the industry I am in for the world! Here is a link to coffee fest that is coming to your area...That show is schduled for october...Coffee fest is good for beginers but I would suggest you attend the SCAA show in Atlanta..all the cool kids will be there!

http://www.coffeefest.com/cgi-bin/vbbri ... ll?VBEXE=F:\users\festival\www\vhost\coffeefe\www\htdocs\cgi-bin\CoffeeFest\FrameSet.exe&Event=2&Stage=Attend&S HOW=20031111~Seattle

barista training

AS,

have you thought of asking at your local Starbucks....Lilybeans should be able to give you a name to contact, they should be able to give you all the training you need. They sound as if they are keen to develop their staff

Super Moderator
    I just want to go on the record that I am not a starbucks fan...just respect what they have done for "us" I have been in some coffee shops that where wiped out due to starbucks coming in...and I hate to say this but they wouldn't have lasted anyways...A majority of the time people under capitalize themselves and start to cut corners to make themselves stay afloat. People see that starbucks is kickin ass financially and say I could do that its only coffee...then they get open and pull in a whopping $200 a day..sometimes $500!! They could survive but as I said in the past with one store it would be hard to become super rich! So Anti-S go to the next SCAA show(Atlanta) learn as much as you can...I am sure there are some barista tutorials..Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links