Looking for large scale art or ideas

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
So, you might have read about my design issue. We have selected our colors and resigned ourselves to the fact that the designer helped us purchase seating, tables, and prevented us from having our colors clash, and is now probably done with us.

Sinc most of you understand what we are experiencing and I got some really great input the last time I posted an issue, I decided to post another one: I have 17 foot high ceilings in my space. We have been looking for something proportionate to decorate the walls. Any ideas? I probably don't have to mention it needs to be pretty inexpensive. I'm going to check a couple of those close-out stores (you never know). I also have the guy who did my sign giving me some estimates for inexpensive art (painted) onto the walls.

Nanna

Nov 13, 2007
Georgia
Visit site
We bought an old bank that was built in 1918 so I know what your talking about. You can hang art from local artists or art students in town. We also painted on a couple of the walls ourselves. Very abstract so it looked like something you would see in a coffee shop. The customers love it.

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
You might look at dropping your lighting down so that the bottom 10 feet is noticeable and the upper portion is just shadows or putting some type of moulding strip at the 10 foot level to break it up

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I went to the Dunkin Donuts who rents from the same landlord at another property in another town to see what they did. They have the ceiling painted black, which is what we will have, and the walls look like the top four feet are black as well, and it just kind of disappears into the ceiling. Its a option for us.

KnappCap

Oct 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If there are local artists in the area, or if you have resources to get ahold of artists (colleges, high schools, etc.) a good way of decorating is just having local art work put up around the shop. The artist likes it, because it gives them exposure and opportunity to sell work and then it is also great for the business as it bring community people in the doors for the art and you save money on purchasing your own art.

At our shop we have new work going up every couple of weeks. We have university students that do their senior art shows here, sometimes just local people from the area and we've also had a high school art show. It's worked good for us. Hope this helps

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Hi, KnappCap! Thanks for the advice. After reading your post, I got in touch with a local artist who is willing to display his work. I also think I will call the local colleges.

I know I'm a little late joining this conversation, but I have another idea for you. The thought of such high walls makes me think of a large screen onto which you might project art. It might be stationary or moving art.

I don't know how you would accomplish it, but there could be all kinds of cool ways to cover the space. You could add silky screens that can be seen through, yet would pick up a projected image.

You might change the artwork through the ages. Classical artwork. Medieval. Gothic. Renaissance. Baroque. You get the idea. It shouldn't be too hard.

Mako

CoffeeShopPromos

Dec 27, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Visit site
Local Artists

We have a few coffee shops in our college town that local artists display and sell their art in. Not only would you be able to display artwork for free, but you can rotate art on a regular basis and keep those art lovers coming back.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Thanks to you both for your feedback! I AM still looking for ideas.

We have talked to some local artists, but haven't found the right fit. We'll keep plugging along. I'll have to post some pics of the cafe. Oh, wait, I do have some pics on my blog in the Photo Album section. I'll have to post the link.