More questions for the eager entrepeneur

sabrinafuss

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
What is a good, quality, reasonably priced coffee to use for a mobile coffee cart?

Can having a paninini press be profitable, or do you think that for a beginner it would cost more to make sandwiches than it is worth?

If you are cooking basic goods at home for the cart such as cookies, muffins, scones, is it necessary to get a food license for your home kitchen and list ingredients on the baked goods?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What is a good, quality, reasonably priced coffee to use for a mobile coffee cart?
Start by tasting all local roasters and decide what tastes best to you. If nothing meets your standards, widen your search. Don't shop by price, you'll regret it. Do several rounds of blind cupping...

Can having a paninini press be profitable, or do you think that for a beginner it would cost more to make sandwiches than it is worth?
Unless you are making a TON of panini, panini grill = George Foreman... $40. That being said, it may be more trouble than it's worth for a cart.

If you are cooking basic goods at home for the cart such as cookies, muffins, scones, is it necessary to get a food license for your home kitchen and list ingredients on the baked goods?
Your home kitchen is unlikely to get a license. You cannot maintain the same quality standards of cleanliness at home. Check with your local Health Dept. on this, but good thinking to ask about it first.

joesonthenose

Jan 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Visit site
I agree, go with quality over price. Someone explained it to me this way:

One pound of coffee makes a lot of coffee (over 300 ounces). The profit loss per cup between a $7.00/# coffee and a $4 or $5 is fairly low. One pound of espresso produces a LOT of 1 oz shots (60 or so). I''d rather provide a cup that customers come back for- but tthen again, I''m lucky to have found an amazing organic roaster near me.

And people do notice quality- if you want a mediocre cup of coffee you can go anywhere- I''d like to think that people will travel (and word will spread) about a better cup. I''m consistently told that my coffee is the some of the best customers have had. Weird. It ain''t cheap, but those compliments go a long way.

David
[email protected]
San Diego, CA