Now That Mickey D's Is Goin' All Specialty On Us...

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
...anyone out there getting a bit nervous that the specialty coffee industry is getting infringed upon?

It would immediately occur to me that those previously enjoyed margins will soon be in the slashing mode.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
ABM said:
...anyone out there getting a bit nervous that the specialty coffee industry is getting infringed upon?

It would immediately occur to me that those previously enjoyed margins will soon be in the slashing mode.

Infringed is the wrong word to use my friend. If you truly look a lot of places have infringed upon it including Starbucks.

Look at from a numbers standpoint. Almost every Mc D's that has opened has been setup for drive through and is very efficient about pushing customers through it. Most of them have been setup in a great location and can be easily spotted as well as accessed. That and having served countless billions why not push a better coffee product. They have always served coffee, why not make it better.

I guess I just don't understand why people get worked up over this. If you haven't noticed lately it seems a lot of the Home Improvement type stores have been adding a grocery isle.

Menards is pretty big in the upper midwest and they have added a complete grocery section in some of their stores which is in direct competition with most food markets. People are demanding a one stop shop. Kind of reminds me of Sears and (Roebuck).

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
CCafe said:
ABM said:

Infringed is the wrong word to use my friend. If you truly look a lot of places have infringed upon it including Starbucks.

Look at from a numbers standpoint. Almost every Mc D's that has opened has been setup for drive through and is very efficient about pushing customers through it. Most of them have been setup in a great location and can be easily spotted as well as accessed. That and having served countless billions why not push a better coffee product. They have always served coffee, why not make it better.

I guess I just don't understand why people get worked up over this. If you haven't noticed lately it seems a lot of the Home Improvement type stores have been adding a grocery isle.

Menards is pretty big in the upper midwest and they have added a complete grocery section in some of their stores which is in direct competition with most food markets. People are demanding a one stop shop. Kind of reminds me of Sears and (Roebuck).

Easy for you to say. You're in the equipment business! :D

Nahh, I hear ya, though. I'm just a rebel-rouser at heart. :twisted:

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
CCafe said:

Uhhhh, wasn't Starbucks around at the beginning of the specialty movement? They were trained by Al Peet and despite their insane growth they are deeply rooted in specialty coffee. Erna, the grand dame and person behind the term "specialty coffee" used to sell them beans. They were among her early clients.

More than a few people would credit them with opening the door to the multitudes of small roasters/retailers who have come into being during the past 15 years.

McD's is only a threat to indy shops that are not really specialty themselves. If you serve slop and do it slowly then be concerned, if you are a quality purveyor the contrast will do you more good than harm.

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I wouldnt be too concerned either. I have faith that most coffee people still understand that Mcd's coffee is still fast food coffee, meaning, no matter how good it gets, its still drive-thru-coffee. There is a certain appeal for the Indie shops (the good ones) that people love, and keep comming back to. I sure wouldnt want to do homework at Mcd's!!!

ABM

Mar 4, 2007
Atlanta
Visit site
caffe biscotto said:
-Dude

Drive-thru doesn't make it a bad thing. Neither does fast.

Don't ya know, ABM is a soon to be drive-thru coffee entrepreneur.

:lol: ................................... :shock: .......................... :x

I'll get over it. :wink:

Hey, don'tchaknow, I'm gonna soon be the best darned indy drive-thru in the south!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Carmine Domenaco said:
CCafe said:

Uhhhh, wasn't Starbucks around at the beginning of the specialty movement? They were trained by Al Peet and despite their insane growth they are deeply rooted in specialty coffee. Erna, the grand dame and person behind the term "specialty coffee" used to sell them beans. They were among her early clients.

More than a few people would credit them with opening the door to the multitudes of small roasters/retailers who have come into being during the past 15 years.

McD's is only a threat to indy shops that are not really specialty themselves. If you serve slop and do it slowly then be concerned, if you are a quality purveyor the contrast will do you more good than harm.

My point is that Starbucks has wandered off the path they first set out on. But thats bound to happen with any company who is expanding all the time.

Infringed is one of those words that really belongs in the legal department and is where it should stay.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
GreenDude said:
I wouldnt be too concerned either. I have faith that most coffee people still understand that Mcd's coffee is still fast food coffee, meaning, no matter how good it gets, its still drive-thru-coffee. There is a certain appeal for the Indie shops (the good ones) that people love, and keep comming back to. I sure wouldnt want to do homework at Mcd's!!!

Well the problem is our economy is tanking pretty fast and every customer lost is going to be felt. It my opinion that there are a lot of people who purchase out of convenience only. It doesn't matter that you serve a quality product or not. All that matters is how fast and how much they can save. If McD's can serve a fast, low priced, and somewhat of a quality drink then your going to have a problem with your customer base.

As for doing homework at McD's neither would I. But I was just in one with a play center the other day and I saw 5 o 6 different laptops open. 2 in the main dining and the rest in the play area. My assumption is people are bringing there kids for lunch and while the kids play they may be doing some work. Its always loud as hell in there but some people can tune it out.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello.

Has anyone tasted any of McDonalds specialty coffees yet?

I read that there are some McDonalds restaurants in several states that already have the espresso equipment up and running. Most of them should have it by the end of 2008.

I don't frequent McDonalds restaurants ... except for those times when I'm on the road and craving a fast salad.

Rose

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You do realize that most of their premium salads have more calories then a cheeseburger? That still doesn't even include the salad dressings. If you have a Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Crispy Chicken @ 390 calories and throw on the the Newman's Own® Ranch Dressing @ 170 calories, you have more calories then a Big Mac @ 520 calories. Heck even the Big Mac has less fat too. Ouch!
http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller ... ex1.html#3

I find that pretty disturbing.