Franchising vs Consultants

beans

May 28, 2004
Visit site
I would like to get feedback from anyone who has reached a point in starting a coffee shop where they were deciding on either going with a franchise or hiring a consultant. I am at this point and am weighing the pros and cons of each. At this time, I am leaning towards a franchise but tomorrow I may be leaning towards a consultant. I am in Massachusetts so if anyone knows of a good consultant in this area, I would appreciate a name. Thanks

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Beans:

That all depends on the type of operation you want to do. Additionally, you have to ask yourself do you want someone elses idenity or your own. Franchises will have everything in place from the color of your establishment to what and how you serve their product. Whereas if you do your own you have that control. Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of money that you can get your hands on to buy into a franchise vs a sometimes smaller amount of money to build your own from the ground up. So it's a toss up. Both have their good points and bad points. Bottom line is this is a decision you have to make. There are a lot of so-called consultants out here, so be careful if you hire one. It really doesn't matter where in the country they are located. If the consultant is experienced in this industry they can be of great benefit. Do your research well and it should pay off. Also if you do decide to hire a consultant make sure they are ready to get their hands dirty right along with you. Anyone can put stuff on paper and make it look pretty, or make a bunch of video tapes and sell you a package of $%#@* and let you go on your own. I've seen it happen to people and they accept it as a mistake and move on. In my opinion get as much of your research done as you can, then when you are actually ready, i.e., have your money ready, have your ideas ready, proposed location ready, and a plan of action ready, then proceed. This way you are not wasting your time or anyone elses time. I hope this helps :p