HELP

Tatharel

Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
My dream is to create a cafe--a simple, quiet place where everyone feels at home and can take burdens off their shoulders. My one great problem is, I don't know barely anything about the art of coffee. :? Can you guys help me out, you know, run me through the basics?

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
If this were an easy question to answer, everybody would be doing it. I always ask everyone one the following question (and for those who already know bear with me), "Are you a dreamer, or a dream maker?"

In my humble opinion the best thing you can do, is to start your own education by reading as much as you can about this industry. Everything from how coffee is grown and processed to visiting different coffee establishments and evaluating their operations. There are no short cuts or easy ways to go into this business unless you have deep pockets and just hire people to do all of this for you. Or just buy into a franchise.

Certainly there must be a lot of effort on your part to make it happen. :D

espressomaniac

Jul 8, 2004
Tacoma
Visit site
coffee 101

You start out with the bean, make sure it's roasted correctly, move on to running it through the grinder, make sure you have it set up right, from there you have to shoot some water through a machine to extract it's goodness, again, another art. If you have came this far, then you have to play mr. froth as well as get into the crazy combo's out there to complete the task.

It's a learning processs, take your time, and if you have a commercial machine on location, much easier to fine tune.