Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    kc1
    kc1 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    24

    How price sensitive are customers?

    ---------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,045
    Here's a quick rundown... for specifics there would be a fee.

    I would only advise this if you want to make coffee an equal, or greater "partner" in your offerings. If it is an afterthought, even a good one, it just won't work.

    You can't compete on speed. Don't try. And too fast denotes low quality.
    Compete on quality. Freshness. Educate by the cup.
    Drop smoothies.
    Drop loyalty cards.
    Local roasted, fresh, GREAT quality beans.
    Raise barista skill.
    Learn latte art... if you haven't already.
    Raise prices.

    You now have re-positioned yourself!
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by John P
    Here's a quick rundown... for specifics there would be a fee.

    I would only advise this if you want to make coffee an equal, or greater "partner" in your offerings. If it is an afterthought, even a good one, it just won't work.

    You can't compete on speed. Don't try. And too fast denotes low quality.
    Compete on quality. Freshness. Educate by the cup.
    Drop smoothies.
    Drop loyalty cards.
    Local roasted, fresh, GREAT quality beans.
    Raise barista skill.
    Learn latte art... if you haven't already.
    Raise prices.

    You now have re-positioned yourself!
    A lot of what you said really depends on your customer base. I've had the misfortune of watching a few coffee shops go down the drain this year after they made some drastic decisions based on information like that.

    Just be careful of how you implement it.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by CCafe
    Quote Originally Posted by John P
    Here's a quick rundown... for specifics there would be a fee.

    I would only advise this if you want to make coffee an equal, or greater "partner" in your offerings. If it is an afterthought, even a good one, it just won't work.

    You can't compete on speed. Don't try. And too fast denotes low quality.
    Compete on quality. Freshness. Educate by the cup.
    Drop smoothies.
    Drop loyalty cards.
    Local roasted, fresh, GREAT quality beans.
    Raise barista skill.
    Learn latte art... if you haven't already.
    Raise prices.

    You now have re-positioned yourself!
    A lot of what you said really depends on your customer base. I've had the misfortune of watching a few coffee shops go down the drain this year after they made some drastic decisions based on information like that.

    Just be careful of how you implement it.
    Alot of what John P has said definitely holds true, however.....it sounds like kc1's business is not coffee focused, but food focused. That in itself is probably the primary issue with why coffee sales are hovering around 3% of total sales. The coffee offered is a companion product, and not the primary destination of the shop. That 3% is relatively common for a shop based on food sales, with companion products such as coffee.
    Roasting only the best cup of coffee

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by roaster dave
    it sounds like kc1's business is not coffee focused, but food focused. That in itself is probably the primary issue with why coffee sales are hovering around 3% of total sales. The coffee offered is a companion product, and not the primary destination of the shop. That 3% is relatively common for a shop based on food sales, with companion products such as coffee.
    Bingo!

    Starbucks is not the first place that pops in your head (if ever ) if you want a sandwich, and likewise, Subway is not a place you think of (again, if ever) if you want a latte.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,045
    As I mentioned,

    I would only advise this if you want to make coffee an equal, or greater "partner" in your offerings. If it is an afterthought, even a good one, it just won't work.
    More the "we have the best latte in town"... as opposed to "we also have great lattes".

    If the location and demographic allow for greater coffee sales, where, even if sales overall are lower, profitability will be higher-- then you may want to rethink the direction and focus of your business. Any half-hearted attempt is just going to lead to more frustration. In short, if you want any significant change in coffee/espresso sales, you need to refocus the core of your business.
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

  7. #7
    kc1
    kc1 is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    24

    Separate coffee brand

    --------------------------------

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    38
    Good luck with any changes you make kc1......and yes, it sounds like you should definitely be switching roasters!
    Roasting only the best cup of coffee

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    39
    Better yet, set yourself apart from the competition by roasting your own coffee. Since you are in the U.K. check this out - http://theroastedbeanboutique.com/coffee/

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,045
    kc1,

    if you are looking for great coffee education as well as great coffee, I would highly recommend contacting Square Mile Coffee
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    caffedbolla.com

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Need help getting customers
    By willis joco in forum Coffee Websites
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
  2. Fair price , market price for specialty coffees with example
    By cloudsipper in forum Coffee Beans & Espresso Beans
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
  3. Customers
    By natalielight in forum Coffee Shops, Espresso Bars & Cafes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 10:03 AM
  4. Customers Refills
    By Rockcreekcoffee in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 06:25 PM
  5. How many customers a day?
    By ktanenbaum in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 06:37 PM

Search tags for this page

coffee price sensitivity
,
customer sensitive to price
,
customers are price sensitive
,

how price sensitive are customers

,
how price sensitive are customers?
,
how price sensitive is coffee market
,
price sensitive customer
,

price sensitive customers

,
price sensitivity in coffee industry
,
price-sensitive customers
Click on a term to search for related topics.