Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Offering Americano instead of Drip

Hi,

This is such a great source for info thank you to all of you who contribute!

I will be opening a coffee shop very soon and I'm considering offering Americano instead of drip coffee and just label it "regular coffee". Did any of you do something similar? Did it impact your business? Any upset customers?

Thank you for your comments

Max

Re: Offering Americano instead of Drip

I have customers who don't want Americano. We do drip in the morning and have pour over in the afternoon.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Would discourage you from taking this route. I think it's best to offer the drip coffee and see where that takes you. Most coffee shops do a significant amount of drip sales. Also it's a quick easy ticket; the line moves much faster than making an Americano for each drip customer. Also, there is no variety in the Americano unless you were to do multiple single origin Americanos (not practical, but could be cool); would encourage going towards vacuum / press instead if you're anti-brewer.
    Cheers,
    Frank

i believe 33% of the average cafe sales are made up exclusively of specialty drink sales.. a percentage of which would be americanos.

drip coffee sales help make up the other 66%.
    Happiness can be found between 1st and 2nd crack

From my experience, I would not leave out a drip program. Many busy cafes use about 50% to 60% drip than around 30% to 40% espresso based drinks. As another member said, I would offer a press or vacuum option, with a single origin or special roast. Another option would the melitta style cone brew.

While an "Americano" is what you'll get in Europe when you ask for a cup of coffee, the culture here is different. A Mileto-style pour-over method is a good idea in addition to a number of drip coffees.

Depending on your flow, you could do decaf americano's for all those who want decaf coffee - could actually save you $$ on decaf.

We have a $1 12oz cup to go between 7a-10a M-F - they can walk in and go to where our drip coffee is located and drop in $1 in the jar - helps move the line along so that those who want just a cup of coffee don't have to wait for the "large 4shot skinny sugar-free blended mocha" people to get through with their order...
    --
    Jeremy Meiss
    Origins Coffee Co., LLC

I'm also curious on this subject - with a slightly different angle.

I'm considering using only coffee presses instead of drip - to me and the people I've interviewed, it seems like a nice alternative, plus a great way to encourage engaging the customers and getting to know them.

Thoughts?

Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethgypsy
    I'm also curious on this subject - with a slightly different angle.

I'm considering using only coffee presses instead of drip - to me and the people I've interviewed, it seems like a nice alternative, plus a great way to encourage engaging the customers and getting to know them.

Thoughts?

Elizabeth
    I would look into the clever coffee dripper.

www.sweetmarias.com/prod.single_cup.php
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

If you do not offer drip you have to be aware that you reduce your customer base, There are a lot of people who want to run in, grap their drip and go because they like it or have not been properly introduced to espresso based drinks. If you are in a large metropolitan area its probably OK, if you are in a smaller town reducing your customer base can really hurt you. You also have to look at pricing. For example in a 16 oz size we charge $ 1.90 for drip, $ 2.75 for an Americano and $ 3.75 for a Latte. If you are doing Pourovers or French Press you have to charge considerably more than the drip price because they are more labor intensive. People who are into their coffee will pay it, drip drinkers if they have the time to spare may not. I look at drip as a way to get those people converted to good coffee and potentially to convert them to espresso drinks. It also can help build your bulk bean sales. If you brew your Drip to SCAA Gold Cup standards and do not try to hold it to long your customers will immediately notice the difference, some will say it's too strong because they are not used to real coffee. After they have had it for a week or so they will become almost addicted to it and be very critical of coffee anywhere else. You will now see this customer more often and they will buy bulk beans because they want flavor at home too.

This particalar post has saved me alot of decafe down the drain. I give my customers a choice, I can brew a pot (1/2) or an americano for the same price ,99% will take the deal.
    "the great coffee caper...."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links