Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: How many pounds of coffee are you going through..

I'm thinking out loud here Tophie... Couple of things I'm not clear on and you might want to check your numbers because I think you might be misleading yourself and/or in need of evaluating end product.

First, with 16 cups per 1/4 pound you get a 64 serving yield per pound. That seems extrememly high to me. Even with just drip I've never seen a calculation for yield above 40 and mixed beverage offerings yield is usually around 26 plus or minus. I think you should probably check the numbers because it seems to me to be too high a yield there or a miscalculation. Furthermore, if the pots don't last a half hour, you must be selling a TON of beverage at 128+ servings per hour and $1.80-2.00 drip? That's $1000++ gross in a daily four hour shift just on drip. Can that be right? I sort of doubt it.

Second is the $1 per pot which I assume is 1/4 pound. That tells me you're paying less than $4 per pound for your coffee and if figuring it as a net, possibly much less after milk, sugar, sweetner, etc. I hope that's another possible miscalculation because, and not trying to be rude here, if you're not a roaster (and probably, even if you were) wholesale landed whole bean cost at less than $4 cannot be of any acceptable quality as specialty coffee. Just can't be done and does not exist.

Anyway, I'd double check some of your math and bills in evaluating your your stats and overall profitability. The accuracy of your stats is an extremely important compnent of any business and mistakes can be fatal.

Ok, This is gross pricing for sure. Yes Gavina makes a great product for very reasonable pricing. Yes The "16cup" yield is based on the numbers on the site glass. Which in reality is prob 3/4 of a gallon. My drip pricing is 12oz 1.40 16oz 1.75 20oz 2.00. The most expensive drip I buy is Kona blend @ 5.85# the least expensive is usually on sale for 3.60- 4.10# my espresso is 3.80 (BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY) So yes there is great coffee for inexpensive cost. When people tell me they pay 9-12$# for coffee,and its bitter, I don't get it. I sell about 7 pots a day. Gross of 70$ less cup,lid,stirrer, sleeve, cream, sugar and or sweeteners,,napkins,rent,power,and all other hard costs. I sell all my coffee beans for 10.50 a pound. Whether it be Kona or Java estate. So my calculations my be off by a little for cost of pot, but not the gross retail.

Some people drink black
    Some people drink soup
    some people want 1/2 a cup

Thats not the problem I am having, nor am I going to hijack another thread about a completely different topic, or worse, my sob story about financial suicide.

So in all interest, once again I make a pot of brewed coffee for about a dollar, and sell it for 10$ (gross)

I go through about 150#s of coffee a month, My coffee order is usally about 1k. This includes Chai mix and three cases of perfect touch cups. this will include espresso, and drip whole bean.

VOLUME IS WHAT I LACK
    "the great coffee caper...."

Tophie, 7 pots times quarter pound per pot is 1.75 pound a day which is about 50 pounds a month. Are you doing 100 pounds of espresso and whole beans a month? Are you being billed about 150 pounds a month?
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Correct, the rest is espresso and whole bean purchases. Oh yes I'm billed all right CUO (cash upon order, I owe my venders nothing, I pay cash) So to get back to the original question, how many pounds of coffee you go through Pug?

I have two locations, both fluctuate due to seasonality. The one in Hartford ranges about 300 to 450. The extra 150 is due to summer iced coffee. The New Haven location various from 120 to 400. This location is close to Yale's campus, during school year I do about 400, but in Summer I die and do next to nothing, I dumped more than served.
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Ok so that makes sense, you use triple the amount of coffee I use, and I need to triple my business.

So your doing 30k a month Im doing 10-12k. What you pay for coffee if you don't mind me asking?

Guess I'm on the low end of the stick here as we are using about 30 lbs. per month in our mobile espresso van. BUT we have only been in business about 3 months, so I guess that's not too bad. Personally I'm drinking several pounds of that in doubles both in the van and at home.

However I think it's an OK number for the time we're out. Up until 1 week ago we have only been out 4-5 hrs. daily because of propane cost to run the generator. Now we have a nice 220V connection to plug into and can stay 8-10 hrs. daily with much cheaper operating cost.

In our area drip and hot chocolate have been the big sellers, but have noticed a trend lately... most people are buying espresso based drinks and not so much of the other stuff now. Our county is rather hick-like and most say "what is that thar expresso like, some kind of special coffee or sumthin"... so I guess we must be doing something right. Lots of great publicity and no negative comments so far except for the here and there "why is your hot chocolate that high?" Or "why is a cup of coffee $1.75"... Well because we have a van to pay for, we pay a sublease to park here, we pay for propane and now electricity, we have insurance to pay for, we have very fresh beans, we keep this machine on all day, we use Monin chocolate sauce, we use fresh milk that is steamed properly..... Then I tell them if they don't like the taste it's free.... have been paid for every drink so far... Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Tophie..... how are you getting beans that cheap BTW? Our wholesale price with a local roaster is in the $6.50-7 range and I thought that was quite good, for our area anyway. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I roast my own. My green beans various from $2.50 to up to $8.00 (Cup Of Excellence type beans). After roasting, assuming 15% weight lost, minimum gas and electricity usage and relatively low labor cost - I am good at exploiting myself, my roasted cost per pound ranges from $3.50 to $11.00. When I first started I bought beans from a roaster that are in the $6 to $8 range.
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Sounds like a great way to increase profit margin... might be something I look to do in the future, but for now I will leave the roasting to those that specialize in it. Have to get our mobile espresso setup as profitable as possible for the time being... Later!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links