Do you need a drainage underneath the expresso machine

Hi, I'm looking to put an expresso machine in a existing machine. So I notice that there a lot coffee shop have drainage underneath the machine. I was wondering if its require by the health department to have one. I'm located in Washington State. I would like any advice and much appreciate. Also, what other thing do I need like water line, etc.

Re: Do you need a drainage underneath the expresso machine

If the machine is to be plumbed in (as pretty much all commercial applications should be), then there will be a drain box under the drip tray that collects water from the group valves, drip tray runoff, etc. and directs that down a flexible hose to a proper drain line/trap.

Machines such as this should have the freshwater feed line plumbed in as well, but the pressure shouldn't be very high and a reducer is sometimes needed.

Believe me, if a machine is to be used in a commercial setting you surely want it to be fully plumbed in. Having a pourover (water tank to fill) or FloJet type setup from 5 gallon bottles along with the need to empty a drip tray constantly would be more of a pain than it's worth. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Quote Originally Posted by jay.topz
    Hi, I'm looking to put an expresso machine in a existing machine. So I notice that there a lot coffee shop have drainage underneath the machine. I was wondering if its require by the health department to have one. I'm located in Washington State. I would like any advice and much appreciate. Also, what other thing do I need like water line, etc.
    Most health departments will allow for a bucket to be placed under the output hose for a temporary solution. Its just easier to plumb it in. I would suggest running PVC drain line as close to the machine as possible. Most of the time people run 1" pvc within a foot of the espresso machine under a cabinet. Then for convenience stick the drain hose down the pvc pipe about 6 inches and make sure it drains properly.

If done right this will help prevent clogs from running standard drain hose that will sag from the heat over time.

Edit: I should also mention that a lot of times if your are right next to a sink they make a Y fitting that replaces a part of your drain pipe on your sink. Its about as easy as unscrewing the the P trap and installing the new piece.

The other thing is a lot of health departments seem to allow any drain line to go directly to a floor drain. So its very possible you can just plumb some pvc pipe right to it.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Yep, got a drain strait to my floor drain. Water in through my R.O. and softener.
    "the great coffee caper...."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links