Everything to go style or no?

Strawberry78

Aug 14, 2004
Visit site
I'm looking into opening a coffee house. One thing i wasn't sure about was that i was thinking of doing everything to go style...like everything in to go cups. Would that make my shop less of a coffee house or should i offer mugs for customers to stay. Also cause i'm planning on selling pastries, cakes, soup and sandwiches. Would it look cheesy if i don't offer actual bowls and plates when customers are eating in?
Do most coffee houses offer actual dining ware?
Thanks.

Java Lover

Aug 31, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
To go or not to go?

I own three coffee shops, and I think it's nice to offer "real" dishes to those customers staying. You can start out with just a few inexpensive mugs, plates, etc. and see how it goes over. We do offer them at my shops for those staying, and it gives the customers more of a homey feel. Make sure you pick up at least a couple of small espresso mugs, for those cusomters coming in just for espresso.
Good luck on your new shop!!

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
go real al the way!

You HAVE to offer real for here cups. Starbucks does not and likely never will so it is a good advantage. And ALL coffee and espresso tastes better in ceramic cups rather than paper or whatever. It feels better, tastes better and sets you apart.

When we started we were about 95% to go. Now we are coser to 50% for here cups. There is almost always someone hanging out at our place now and we look and are busier. If they get a real cup and sit down they will be so hapy and other customers will se them there and want to come in.

And why kill tons of trees if you do not have to?

pablos

Oct 1, 2004
Denver CO
Visit site
You got to.

Drinks served in paper cups just aren't as attractive. It always breaks my heart to serve an awesome cappuccino in a paper cup, it just ruins the presentation.

People will want to spend some relaxation time in your shop. Make it the best for them!