Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Average start of cost?

Approximately how much is it to start up a coffee house? I'm thinking of 900 SQFT, no drive thru.
    Thanks.
    Mom of 2 Pups ~Tiger & Skye~

????

MMMM

Thats a tough question.

Starbucks spends about 320k to get a new one going.

I am currently consulting with a party that is opening with aprox. 800 sq. ft. Not including the building we should be able to keep there cost under the 60k mark. Of course, they are buying good equiptment, but they are skimping on furniture. A very casual setting w/ used furniture.
    They have very little modification needed on the inside as well.

If I can help more drop me an email or give me a call,

Jason Rule
    drruley@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I was calculating last night that it shouldn't be any more than $50, 000 but i'm sure you'd know more than i do since don't have any experience in it.

My first bit of advise would be to hire a qualified consultant that can help you with many of your questions. Rather it be our company or another. My reason for saying so is if you plan on having a successful business, stop beating around the bush and invest properly in the beginning. Sure you can always get others opinions on what you should do, however, investing in a good consultant can lead you in the right direction without a bunch of guess work. It's a great benefit to have someone working with you from the start to the opening. Additionally, you can also employ them to put on training that will be valuable to your business, as well as on going consulting throughout the life of your business.

As for the cost of equipping a sit down type of operation, and 900 sqft is going to be quite a bit more than the 50K you are looking to spend. Actually you can erect a drive thru for about that cost. But keep in mind that the overhead to run a sit down shop is at least double than that of a drive thru. A few examples would include, the rent, the furnishings, dishes, display areas, utilities, multiple coolers, more equipment, and more supplies. And we haven't even addressed the cost for architectual drawings and permits. Things can add up pretty quickly and they do. If you are going to do this business it's best to invest wisely, and not go into things half way.

Just my two cents for what it's worth...
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Hi Coffeeguy,
    Thanks for the advice. You are right that things can add up pretty quickly. There were many things that i forgot to calculate into the total that i realized i needed to.

Yo bet
    "A Word of Difference"TM

speaking from trial and error experience...you'll need at least twice as much $ as you'll estimate(gotta have $$$$ to fund expenses before you see the sales to support the business) and it'll take 4 times as long as you think it will to get started.

Good luck to you and don't let the bad days discourage you....I've been open 2 weeks and it's been like a rollercoaster for sure!!!

Thanks Janie. I hope your business is running smoothly. We are planning to look for a location before the end of March. We are actually moving to Canada to open this coffee house. We are thinking of moving sometime between Nov and Mar. I honestly don't think it'll cost more than $70,000. My inlaws opened a fast food restaurant that needed more expensive equipment for that price. But i know what you mean when you say everything will be not like i predicted it to be. My father in law has opened 3 restaurants in his life and this 3rd one he has now has run successfully for 14 years. He has given me some words of advice that i know i'll need and that was one of them...the unpredicability of costs and timing.

Interesting $$$ thoughts....I am working on my drive thru business plan and I've gotten numbers closer to 80k-100k maybe more with a cushion...Am I way high?? 8'x20' building with a double drive thru, serving coffee, espresso treats, smoothies and a few baked goods.

My building is 8x16-my husband did all the construction( other than hiring an electrician to wire it) and I can't imagine having spent $80,000. Ours is a double drive thru, handicapped accessible restroom, etc. We also had to pour concrete and have a lot of gravel hauled in and leveled. If you add in equipment, signage and start up inventory, we were still under $20,000 for everything. I do, however wish someone had advised me on how much of a cushion I'd need. I guess the bright side is that we've started a business without financing any of it.
    Thats not to say I won't soon need a loan to keep it going until we get the sales to support the monthly cost of doing business . Anyone have any advice on that---I've got the business loan application, but need some help with putting together a loss/profit for 12 months or so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links