why do we like drinking coffee?

Millions of people around the world look forward to a cup of coffee whether at home, whilst on the move or at work. The aroma, taste and the sense of feeling “refreshed” after a cup of coffee brings pleasure to many of us, as we go about our daily lives.

Coffee is one of the most widely researched ingredients and the growing body of scientific research shows that coffee, when drunk in moderation (four to five regular size cups a day) is safe for healthy adults and can even have beneficial health implications as part of a healthy diet and physically active lifestyle.

Medical and scientific organisations around the world advise pregnant women to consume no more than 300 mg of caffeine per day (equivalent to 3 regular size cups of coffee). Recent guidance from the Food Standards Agency in the UK recommends that pregnant women limit their caffeine intake to 200 mg per day (approximately two regular size cups of coffee). It remains to be seen whether this precautionary point of view will be endorsed by scientific bodies around the world. All sources of caffeine should be considered when considering total daily intake; including coffee, tea, cola drinks, energy drinks and chocolate.

Re: why do we like drinking coffee?

It started for me as nothing more than a caffeine delivery system and it was like that for many years. Usually the equipment most of us start with leaves alot to be desired and taste can be lacking. I started because of looking for a natural energy source for bodybuilding/powerlifting. First came instant, then preground, the grinding my own beans at the market, then onto the little $50 steam machines while using preground Gevalia. I will say Gevalia offers some very good options, but it is rather expensive. Then got my first pump machine 4-5 years ago and it just snowballed from there. I weaned off all dairy in my drinks, weaned off of flavored coffees/sweeteners, etc. As my coffee got better I realized there was no use to mask anything. The goal is to actually taste the goodness the coffee has to discover how there is so much variation in the wonderful world of coffee. Last thing to accomplish was to really get dialed in on espresso. Of course that's no easy task, but slowly/surely I honed my skills through trial and error to become what I am today.

NOW it's about the caffeine and taste/texture each bean has to offer. My goal now is to maximize what I get from our roaster, make the drinks everybody desires and help to educate them on what great coffee can really be. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Super Moderator

Wow! Shadow

You've come a long way in 4-5 years! When I think about all that you're learned (and taught yourself) I'm very impressed!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Rose

Thanks for that PR! I do take pride in the fact that I'm self-taught in every thing I choose to do. I was born with plenty of mechanical reasoning and I do take full advantage of that. Have always had the luxury of being able to simply glance at something and being able to take it apart and either fix it or make it that much better/more to my liking. I still get thrilled at doing things such as stripping down grinders, tearing into my lever machine at home, etc. because I know the end result will be better taste, performance and that sort of thing.

On the weekends my wife watches me strangely as I hand grind, dose, tamp and then pull doubles on my Cremina (lever) and then talks about how the process is too time/labor intensive. But when she takes a sip she then understands what it's all about.

There are brew methods I'd like to try such as vacuum, press and Turkish. As good as they might be I'm surely an espresso geek for life now that I've seen just how amazing it can be. Doubt I'll ever venture from that. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Taste, Addiction, Habit, not necessarily in that order ...

Len
    Last edited by coffeeroastersclub; 03-31-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." ~Flash Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeroastersclub View Post

Len
    Mine's in that order!

I think it also has to do with tridition. My family as a kid always drank it, my grand parents always drank it, and Im sure there grand parents did too. It's always been part of our every day living. Oh and i like the taste and smell in the morning.
    Cheers

Banned
    I Agree on tradition also which leads to the all out addiction!

I've always been taught that civilized people drink coffee and enjoy biscotti.

This is why I enjoy it =)

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeroastersclub View Post

Len
    Same here

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links