Future industry and market, how do you see it?

Kawha

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Im not in the business itself but from what I've heard from some of my friends who are and baristas i know well i hear a little every now and then.
Basically my question itself is where do you see coffee industry in a few years? I mean at this point the demand on coffee for example is already bigger then we actually produce the product. And coffee drinking is getting more popular and popular in the east and that in my personal opinion can raise the prices of coffee significantly higher then they already are. So future of coffee? :coffee1:

catib999

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Im not in the business itself but from what I've heard from some of my friends who are and baristas i know well i hear a little every now and then.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My admittedly limited perspective is that, though coffee prices are on the rise, the specialty coffee industry will endure. There are enough people who have been ruined enough to never again return to Folgers and the like, not to mention enough people who seem to give a damn that much of the coffee industry (especially the more mass market distributors) is carried on the backs of slaves and/or people in unfair working conditions. And, at the end of the day, working in our favor are two wonderful truths: (1) coffee is addictive :) and (2) coffee is relatively cheap. No matter how bad the economy gets, I don't foresee coffee being something consumers cut from their expenses. In fact, historically, during times of economic recession/depression, coffee demand actually grew as people needed appetite suppressants! While I don't think we are going to that dire a crisis, I think the fact remains; coffee is cheap enough and necessary enough for its consumers that we in the coffee industry can be confident to press onward through this recession. So where will the coffee industry be in a few years? I not entirely sure, but I am sure that it will still be here!

The challenging question for us will be, however, as the American dollar drops and coffee prices are driven up, will we succumb to compromising our ethical standards, thereby perpetuating the corruption in one of the most corrupt industries on the globe? I hope not. As for me and my house, we will buy and sell responsibly!

KCR

Last edited:

aobecksy

May 11, 2011
St Marys Ohio
Visit site
I have a theory on speciality shops, local gourmets, etc. That the worse the economy gets the more people stay home and are willing to indulge in smaller things. So the vacation experience becomes the Fridya night experience. Until people can vacation again, I hope to give them staycations at my coffee house.

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
I too wonder about this and agree that as the second largest commodity in the world, coffee is here to stay. As demand ebbs and flows, coffee houses will come and go. The good ones will remain, like anything. As people discover what quality coffee is, and then learn about what "fair trade" really is, they will become more educated and place a greater value on the cup they are enjoying. I would really like to see greater support for the small farmers and see more fresh coffee being purchased. By this I mean, we dont typically purchase eggs, veggies, and meats that were packaged months ago, or meals that were prepared months ago, so why do this to your coffee? Purchase enough freshly roasted whole beans for 30days or less, grind to brew on the spot and enjoy fresh coffee.

Habit change and education will strengthen the industry as a whole.