Suggestions on Grinders and/or Vacuum Packers

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So...I finally decided on and bought my roaster (for anyone who gives a rip:lol:)--a used Ambex YM-15 (w/ ProfilePlus!) from a guy in SC. It should be here in a few weeks!

My next step is deciding on a grinder and vacuum packer. The price range for both of these items is quite extreme. Is appx. $300 a realistic amount to expect to pay for a quality grinder? I was looking at the Bunn G1 or a Grindmaster 875. Any thoughts?

How about vacuum sealers for 1-5 lb. coffee bags. Looks like I can spend anywhere b/w $100-$1000 bucks! Anyone have some input on vac. sealers?!

Thanks!

KCR

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This worth $300?

I found this one for about $300. The seller tells me the burrs seem sharp and he will fully refund my purchase if I'm not happy with it.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Bunn_G1_HD.JPG
    Bunn_G1_HD.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 525
  • Bunn_G1_01.JPG
    Bunn_G1_01.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 459

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
vacuum packing - I do not like it. A heat sealer and one-way valve bags is my preference (not that I sell coffee or need to pack that way). Those bricks that are vac packed are, to me, just a sign of stale coffee. Fresh coffee, as you must know, gives off CO2. The valve allows it to escape.

I have an old monster Grindmaster model 500 series. All those commercial grinders (like the Grindmasters and Bunns) are built to be abused in a store environment where customers mess with them, unsupervised. They are tough. Check the price of replacement burrs and negotiate with the seller for a reduction in price if it needs burrs. Might also check with Bunn as to the age of the machine using the serial number. Fair price for that one? $300 is a bit less than half the price for a new one, so it sounds fair, particularly with return rights.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
For all the coffee I've roasted and sold in the past few years, I'm admittedly pretty ignorant when it comes to packaging. I've only ever had to use the basic plastic lined paper coffee bags for sale to individual customers. For some reason, I assumed that I would have to use the vacuum pack as well as the one-way valve bag. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the grinder, Bunn said it was a 2007 model, so I'll have to see what kind of shape the burrs are in.

Thanks for the advice!

KCR

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
You are welcome. At the most it got 4 year's use, so should be in good shape.
I just got a bag of Equator coffee that was in foil (mylar?) bags that had a one-way valve in them. Nice bags.
And if anyone asks, the valve had nothing to do with keeping oxygen out. The valve is to keep the bag from inflating and bursting from the release of CO2 from the coffee. A number of years ago I sent my brother around two pounds of roast (four batches) each heat selaed in plastic bags, and in a cardboard box. I forgot to puncture the bags. He said that the coffee outgassed so and inflated the bags so much that the cardboard box was nearly spherical and about to burst.

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
That's hilarious!

I ended up snagging that grinder for $280 w/ shipping. Seems like a good deal. He checked the burrs; according to him, they are in great shape. We'll see.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
That sounds like a great deal. Shipping such a heavy parcel is not cheap. Hopefully it will be packed carefully so it arrives safely.
Here's my Grindmaster. it was a gift from my brother who was cleaning out his house of unnecessary collectibles:
grind_1.jpg
I use it when grinding 1/2 pound batches from the Hottop for friends who don't have grinders.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Eww.. That's an ugly one. There are some great old Grindmasters what have light up backs that would have faced the customer on a counter.
A collection of these things will cause a house to settle unevenly! Mine has a motor in it that looks like it came out of an swamp cooler, and that red top is cast metal.

Latest posts