Scald Proof Coffee Mug

David Hansen

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey there everyone,

I've invented, patented, and prototyped a scald proof coffee mug that I've posted on kickstarter.com. Somewhat paradoxically it won't burn your mouth but it also keeps the coffee boiling hot for as long as any other traveler's mug. I'm trying to get the word out and could use your help, feedback, and suggestions for improvement.

It's really hard to believe how well it works until you view it in action, so I've provided a link to my project below. The main page video shows a demo and how it works. An additional video in the updates shows me chugging an entire cup of boiling water in under 3 minutes. Hope you like it!

Here's the link:

The Redi-Drink Scald Proof Mug by David Hansen — Kickstarter

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

- Dave

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Have you seen the kickstarter on the coffee beans that drop inside a coffee mug? Looks like you guys have invented the same thing!

It's not the same thing. The Redi-Drink mug uses a simple radiator technology to cool the coffee quickly. Unless you drink it quickly, it will be too cold to drink.

The Coffee Julies use a phase change material. This allows not only the coffee to cool quickly, but the material will release the heat back into the coffee, keeping the coffee warm longer.

David Hansen

May 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not the same thing. The Redi-Drink mug uses a simple radiator technology to cool the coffee quickly. Unless you drink it quickly, it will be too cold to drink.

Actually, the cool thing about my mug is that it doesn't cool the beverage until you are ready to drink it. It cools the beverage when you tilt it to drink from it. Instant cooling yet hot as long as a normal insulated mug. The unconsumed beverage is in a separate insulted chamber within the mug.

Have you seen the kickstarter on the coffee beans that drop inside a coffee mug? Looks like you guys have invented the same thing!

Not the same thing, but similar function. I've not tried the coffee beans one but it looks interesting as well. I'd love to know how they got the word out on their invention.

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Actually, the cool thing about my mug is that it doesn't cool the beverage until you are ready to drink it. It cools the beverage when you tilt it to drink from it. Instant cooling yet hot as long as a normal insulated mug. The unconsumed beverage is in a separate insulted chamber within the mug.

Thanks. I missed that part of the description. That is an interesting solution to the problem.

Not the same thing, but similar function. I've not tried the coffee beans one but it looks interesting as well. I'd love to know how they got the word out on their invention.

I think that because they use the phase change material, several "geek" sites picked up the story and posted links to their Kickstarter page. When funding reached a certain stage, they became a "success" and the media picked up on it - making their product get even more attention.

ceegee

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi David, this is a really interesting concept. I have 3 teenage boys that all play a lot of sport so I am always running out the door with a travel mug full of coffee, so a mug that is going to keep the contents hot for longer would be a great bonus for me, as I often end up with half a cup of luke warm coffee. Yuk!!

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
David,

Way to go. I bootstrapped my first invention and it was a fabulous experience. If you have 5 of these (in stock) you want to sell, more then happy to showcase them on our Roast of the Day site...