Would like to start a bikini barista drive thru in Miami

alladdin

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've read about the numerous bikini baristas in WA state. However there are very few elsewhere. I live in Miami, Starbucks and Panera Bread are everywhere but almost zero drive thrus. Thinking of starting a bikini (lingerie) or theme barista drive thru cafe in Miami. Is this viable? Thank you for all inputs.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Alladin -

Welcome to coffeeforums.

1. Bikini / lingerie coffee shops I think they have a certain novelty to them that makes them popular. Personally, I wouldn't want to alienate children or a large portion of female customers. What are you going to do when the novelty is gone?

2. I've lived in Seattle, never been to Miami, I used to watch Burn Notice quite a bit. If people are always in swim suits and near the beach there doesn't seem to be as much of a draw to seeing another women in a swimsuit.

3. Drive through kiosks in the right location with, good product, friendly staff, and experienced management can by very viable.

Do you have any business, restaurant, or coffee background?
Do you have a partner or will you doing this solo?
Are you more passionate about $ or coffee?

Best of luck and welcome to Coffee Forums

alladdin

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Drive thru coffee shops, is there a market for it?

Although there are numerable Starbucks, Panera Bread or other coffee shops. It's tough to find a drive thru specialty coffee shop. I live in Fort Lauderdale and I know only of one. Besides espressos and cappucinos, they also offer Italian ice cream, frappucinos, smoothies and shakes. The place seems to do well and has been open for years now. Are specialty coffee drive thrus a good business opportunity or is it something that cannot compete with for example McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts?

alladdin

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Although you're right about the proximity of beaches which are mainly popular with visitors and tourists, we the real people of Ft. Lauderdale-Miami we don't go to the beaches much anymore. We just take them for granted. They are just there, it's fun, we can go anytime we want. But we don't. Too busy commuting, working and doing other things. We are not always in swimwear and we live sometime far from the beaches. We are also aware that too much sun and heat on the skin is a no no. That is why I was thinking that attractive, smart and friendly women in sexy attire can still attract in a drive thru specialty coffe kiosk? How come there are so many around Seattle and none elsewhere?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I say go for it! I live in Boca Raton and you are correct about the locals and the beach! We just opened up on South Beach and it is doing very well! I could throw on the old speedo and knock out some drinks if you need...j/k. Just be careful...there was a coffee shop like your idea in Maind and was burned to the ground by a jealous boyfriend! Funny thing is people protest it like crazy when you first open and they think it will drive people away..The truth is that it becomes free advertising! Good luck if you decide to go forward.

Java

May 4, 2011
New Orleans, La
Visit site
That sounds almost as good as those bikini car washes back in the 70's befor all the automatic car washes.
They would always wash the front windows real good.
Where in Miami were you planning it. I lived in Hialeah and in the 50's not very far away.
I'll be down there in August on vacation.

thecoffeeandtealady

Jun 22, 2011
New York
Visit site
NY

A friend of mine tried to start one here in ny. it was called java mamas. he had a lot of trouble with the community and was unable to get it open. however he had shown me succesful ones nationwide so i can be done!!!

Anna

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: This is more than you asked for. Also, I recognize that this involves my own moral convictions and I'm not trying to impose them onto you...only perhaps to persuade you.

I say thumbs down. I'm appealing only to my own values here, but with my wife pregnant with our first child, I must say, if someone hired my daughter to exploit her body so they could make a few bucks...I would not respond well. If you've got a good product, you don't need to objectify women to sell it. I've also gained a little sensitivity to the issue after learning more about human trafficking and the atrocities of the sex industry. Many social scientists suggest that though the U.S. only participates directly in a relatively small portion of the sex trade industry (approximately 17,000 newly trafficked per year into America--still a hugely significant number), it is the U.S., particularly Hollywood, that broadcasts so forcefully and influentially the 'permission' to objectify women by establishing global norms through the media. So every time we involve ourselves in the supply or demand of a business that perpetuates those norms, we have only ourselves to blame for the continuing demand that fuels the sex trafficking industry.

My two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

KCR

Amdiscount

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I say go for it

We were about to do it back in 09 but it never worked out due to landlord greed & partner's problems, and we ended up opening a convenient store on commercial blvd and N. federal. It's great idea and if you make it till you open your doors you'll make money. And remember *tatas* makes everything taste good.

Biznerdjm

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I say Go For It! Miami is a "Sex" city not a city for soccer moms. This would blow up in Miami especially if you sync social media into it..

Posting pictures of the babes on a website sharing it, making it viral, making people talk about it online would drive some serious sales. There are many ways you could go about it, but it definitely has the potential to succeed if the demographics are right in your area. Could also be turned into a franchise in warmer climates and tourist spots.

VTCoffee

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
If its close to the beach then you might have something going? Beach means that the girls are most likely wearing a bikini anyway so this might be a little less controversial and give you a wider customer base!!

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I've read about the numerous bikini baristas in WA state. However there are very few elsewhere. I live in Miami, Starbucks and Panera Bread are everywhere but almost zero drive thrus. Thinking of starting a bikini (lingerie) or theme barista drive thru cafe in Miami. Is this viable? Thank you for all inputs.

You'll have every ugly woman in Miami demonstrating against you. And thats alot of women.

Len

kking4120

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Is the coffee any good? I think that's the most important thing, because then you're just a gimmicky coffee shop. Yes, girls in bikini's will always drive some sort of business I'm sure, but at the end of the day, people are buying coffee and if it's just not any good, you won't get much in the way of repeat business. That's what you really want