Florida shops

me_schmitty

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this is in a thread somewhere, but I was unable to find it.

I'm from Washington State, not that that makes me the expert on coffee, but I know what's good and what taste's terrible. A friend of mine owns a couple local shops, so I've been around the industry for some time. I'm looking to move to Florida and from what I've seen, there are few (if any) shops in the area that I'm moving to (Marion County, FL pop:340,000). I would conclude that because it's so freaking hot down there, people are less interested in a warm beverage. However, not all coffee has to be hot. So...

Are there any subscribers from that area? If so, what are your thoughts on the whole espresso idea?

Are there any subscribers in that area that own a stand now and how (on average) is your business? Is it worth starting at all? Worth at least looking at? How about reduced hours, say just during morning-afternoon?

I'm moving there either way in roughly 5 1/2 years, so I'm looking into something I can do on my own. Obviously not run it all myself, but something I can invest in and not have to look for a job or worry about not having anything to do.

Thanks,

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Marion county...are you talking about the Ocala area? Its hard to say if there is a chance to make a run at a espresso bar in that area. It is horse country there...I live in South Florida and the specialty coffee biz is good. I have a friend that lives out that way and I will ask them their opinion.

me_schmitty

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I'm thinking more towards that area on 441 between Ocala and The Villages. Out near Belleview I guess. Might even look as far out towards the freeway. My dad just moved over to Floral City, might look over there also.

Like I said, I know that the sale of a hot drink in the summer heat in Florida is probably foolish thought, but decent promo's and good marketing can build hype around cool drinks also. All I need is a decent location, I can (attempt) to do the rest as far as marketing goes.

This is all conceptional at this point. Just trying to get some ideas.

thanks

Surfer

Jun 18, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Visit site
Actually coffee shops, like starbucks and even the mom and pop ones do well in FL... if their located in a nice, upscale/weathly area like Boca where I'm from. Like the Starbucks in Mizner park is slammed pack 7 days a week at all times. I don't think Marion county will be a good fit a niche mom and pop custom roasting shop, like said above it's more "country-fied". A lot will depend on the location.

But not everyone drinks hot drinks like you mention so focusing on the cool ones is smart, I don't really care for Starbucks but like grabbing their caramel frap in the summer. Personally except for espresso I like a nice, good ice coffee instead whether hot or cold out.