Coffeehouse & Roastery

themanupstairs

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm a long time coffee fanatic, as a consumer, and I have been inspired to get into the coffee business at this time. I have a lot of experience in the F&B industry, but I can't say that I'm an expert neither as a roaster or a barista.

What I want to do is set up a business that will roast and serve coffee at the same time. I have seen it done before on my travels, but never got into the meticulous details. What do others here think? I live in a city that is addicted to bad coffee, and I am trying to give the beverage the respect it deserves by serving it fresh, and showing people what good coffee really means. Anyone have any opinions or previous experience with this sort of thing?

I am also trying to get information that would help me in the buying process, such as for example, how much green beans do I need to be able to roast and satisfy my store's needs on a monthly/3 monthly/6 monthly basis? Obviously I know the answer to this depends on the size of my store and the amount of traffic it will bring it. I'm just looking for HOW to go about calculating this. Is there a round-about figure or formula that I can use to figure out how much green coffee I need to produce a certain amount of fresh grind, in a given time?

Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Take your time.

I would advise going to the next SCAA in Portland, take advantage of the classes, seminars, etc. Go to at least one or two CoffeeFest this next year and do the same.

Attend Willem Boot's roast profiling and cupping class to get your feet wet.

Brush up on any business accounting etc at your local community college if you are not up to speed on the business side of things.

Do lots of research for a minimum of 18 months.

Proceed with cautious optimism. :coffee: