Small batch roasting: gas vs electric?

DirtyDave

Having made small roasters that utilize both gas/electric (either/or) heat sources, I can unequivocly state that electric heat is the superior
choice.
It imparts no flavor from byproducts of combustion, simple as that.
Controlling electric heat is also more precise (if you're willing to pay for the proper controller).
See youtube: coffee roaster by Dirty Dave Customs

DirtyDave

The most important factor in the diff is: you know what temperature the air that is cooking the beans "is", not so with a drum (or the drum skin temp).
Second, convection is a more efficient means of heat transfer, roasting the beans faster with lower heat.
In extremis: my roaster uses a max of 550 degs F and does a roast in 4 minutes (most Sivetz style roasters take longer with the same heat.)
Other advantages/disadvantages are more subjective, and up for debate.
I prefer roasting with air.

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
Might I add that today you don't have to choose. We manufacture a 2 Kg shop roaster which implements both drum and restricted fluid bed roasting.
Why not benefit from both the worlds?

Dan

Feb 27, 2012
Israel
Visit site
REDrum, you're right - forgot to mention...
"we" are Coffee-Tech Engineering.
Our roaster that I'm talking about is the SOLAR shop roaster. You're more than welcome to see it on our site.

kanyevil

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It comes down to the question,

do you like your steak panfried or grilled?

The debate comes from preferrences rather than actual differences. I could be wrong. Enlighten me if I am.

DirtyDave

Too simplistic of an assumption.
TRULY fluidized bed roasting (NOT Sivetz), allows for ultra efficient heat transfer.
This results in very low temps utilized to roast the coffee in a very short time period.
Most coffee roasted today is virtually baked (not roasted).
Those who have never tried to use this technology usually dismiss this approach.
Those who have used it, stick with it.
Do you still cook with a woodstove? Do you drive a Model-T?
Technology has progressed, many coffee roasters have not.
That's their choice, is it yours?

Sheilaok

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Want to get a solar and the avirnaki as well. Can u assist us in that purchase?? Thank you. Have left emails on your we form and have not heard back. Please contact us ASAP. Serious about purchase this month need on hand. We're at 310-248-4848.

Sheilaok

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Electric direct heat roasting (in the right hands) results in clean tasting, sweet, smokey, deeply satisfying coffee. These new machines like the coffee-tech solar give this result. Gas is industrial, dirty coffee with no finesse. Does anyone have info on where to get a coffee-tech solar in the L.A. area???? Thanks.

rcsharpless

Mar 22, 2014
Austin, TX
Visit site
This is probably a huge generalization, but I've had great results with darker roasts in gas-heated drums. They do a decent job on lighter roasts, but you have to be very careful not to scorch the beans. Electric and air-powered roasters eliminate several variables involved in the roasting process and thus make excellent sample roasters... in my experience, they do a nice, consistent light/medium roast.