about coffee shops

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi :)

I wonder if I want to opend a coffee shop what is the first step, I mean, I have to know about tasting or cupping. How can I learn about cupping for beginners. I would like learn at first, because I don´t want serve a bad coffee. I like coffee, and I try good coffee´s but because I bougth them. But if I have to buy roasted or green coffee I have to know how recognize a good one.

Thanks! :-D

SCAA page with cupping references, books, supplies.

http://www.scaa.org/shop/products_catal ... ry=CUPPING

Talk with roasters in your area. If they take you seriously, you might be able to get an invitation to cup with them either inbound samples or production samples.

Also, look for industry events. At the SCAA show (next big one in April in Seattle) there are a bunch of seminars including cupping, espresso and so on. If you volunteer (I don't know if you need to be a member - our company is, so the question never came up for me personally), the workshops are free and you get all the content. You don't get to do the stuff, but you're very close to industry experts in teaching mode.

I would also recommend you go to a trade site like coffee review. Buy some of the coffees and use the reviews to guide your tasting. If the experts say something like, "The acidity is sweet and well integrated, the mouthfeel round and cleanly smooth, the flavor rich and straightforward with coffee fruit (the closest analogy is red cherry) that hints gently at milk chocolate. Long, resonant finish." then drink the coffee and try to pick up the same things when you taste the coffee.

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
Thank you JavaHill
I know SCAA have many events, but I'm not in the US. So if you can recomend me a book or something because I really want to learn! :)
and another question... the capuccinos are better with whole milk or not?

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
hey! I saw the Jura E55, Is a good capuccino maker? or are another better, because in the office they have a Jura, and is hummm :-D
yummy

EspressoSue

Oct 11, 2004
Visit site
I used to help out at an espresso bar and I wish I had better training about making espresso. I only knew the bare minimum to get by. Since then I have been doing a lot of reading on the internet because I have invested in a commercial espresso machine for a friends restraunt. The machine is two years old but I'm very worried because the machine may have not been kept as clean as it should have been and might have mineral build up throughout. I will find out as soon as it arrives.

I found one website to be very interesting and they even have a DVD or Video that you can buy that steps you through the process. I have not seen the video yet but from what I understand it's a good one and I plan on buying it myself. The author of the website seems to be a bit of an espresso extremist but he has lots of really great information on the subject on his website. I hope this helps!
:)

He has a newsletter that he writes on this site called "On the Table" and has a link to "Factors in a Perfect Cup."
http://www.lucidcafe.com/
The link below will take you to where you can purchase the video/DVD "Techniques of the Barista"
http://www.espressovivace.com/books_videos.html

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
Thank you ExpressoSue!!!
:)

I know is not easy to handle the expresso machines and definitely the cleanliness of the the machine is very important for the coffee flavor.
I read something about the kind of water, because that have influence in the taste too.

Whole milk is better than 2 percent and 2 percent is better than skim. It has to do with the caseins (milk proteins). The frothing happens as the proteins change with heat and moisture. Fewer proteins leads to weaker foam.

You can get bubbles in skim, but microfoam is a bear.

I haven't worked with soy ('cuz I think it tastes gross) but it has a lot of protein, so it might work. I don't know how similar soy proteins and milk proteins work.