Ice Bins for coffee shop

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm opening a coffee shop in small town in southern part of Alabama. I'm certain blended drinks will be in demand especially during our hot summers. I am trying to keep my budget really low, bare minimum to get started. Commercial ice makers are so expensive which is why I'm looking for alternatives. I want something that I can scoop ice from, so I've been looking at an ice caddy with a roll back opening. It could be stored under my counter where my blender will be and from what I read it will keep ice for days. Essentially, I'd be buying bags of ice every couple of days, which is fine for starters. From those of you with experience, is my thinking unrealistic for success. I know having an ice maker is ideal, but do you think I can get by reasonably well in manner I've described??

thanks

KMM

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Your idea may work for starters, but you may end up wishing you had a commercial ice maker. You're going to go through a lot of ice making blended drinks and drinks "over ice." Have you thought about renting a small ice maker?

I just noticed that the advertisements on this page are for ice makers. It's like magic.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
No.

Don't try to nickel-and-dime your business, that's half-@ssed. We're talking business here, it's simple. If iced drinks, or blended drinks are part of your menu, then you need an ice maker. If you can't afford an ice maker, you can't afford to be in business.

If someone tells you otherwise, they're patronizing you.

In addition, the unnecessary labor and time-wasted buying and carting ice to your store is just bad all around.

Find the best ice maker for your needs, and then find the best price you can on that ice maker. And don't buy a used one, being cheap will lose you money. You want the warranty on the compressor. I would recommend buying one with a 5 year warranty. Especially in that hot and humid environment, you want to be covered.

Best of luck!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Most ice caddys (mobile ice bins) really don't keep the ice for days, and you need to constantly keep them filled. As the ice level goes down, the temperature inside goes down too, and the ice doesn't stay frozen as long as you'd expect. Plus, they need a line to drain out the melted water. You really should consider getting an ice maker.

Rose

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same debate for my shop I am building. Ice makers are rated in lbs/day. I don't have an idea of how many lbs/day I would go through. Italian sodas and iced coffees will be big sellers (I think) in summer. Is a 60lb machine big enough, or do I need to go to 100 or more. I found a new 60lb under counter for a decent price, but it would suck to have to augment with bagged ice. Another option, which I have not priced out, is an ice delivery service. Then you don't have to worry about the compressor crapping out. The ice could be stored in our freezer until we need it.
Any thoughts or experiences on that?
Jim
Jim

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If you go with the ice delivery service, you're still going to need to figure out how much ice you'll use. Plus you'll need to have lots of extra freezer space to store the bags.

Are you projecting a lot of sales of iced drinks?

If you get a 60 lb. machine and run it to fill it, and then keep it running and making ice as you use it, you'll probably have enough to get through the day. Later, if you find that you don't need to constantly run it, you can always put it on a timer just to make ice at night when the shop is closed.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Proper design should have both an in counter ice bin and a ice maker (ideally) in back kitchen area.

An ice machine in your working bar area is too noisy and will have to work too hard due to higher heat.

Why a separate in-counter ice bin? If you spill a drink in your ice maker, you have to empty and sanitize the entire collection bin in the machine. If you spill in the in-counter ice bin, it's a much simpler and less wasteful clean up. Otherwise, you have no ice and you have to start from scratch.

PinkRose is correct. No need to constantly run your ice machine. We only run to fill as needed, otherwise there is a constant melting and refilling that is unnecessary.

Again, don't buy a used machine. It may be ok... but it may not be. It's not worth saving $1K when all hell breaks loose. It's a business, invest for the long term.

hannah2012

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Will just jump in with my experience, as well. First, as stated, get an ice machine. As you're planning, make sure you put a floor drain directly under the location of the machine. I put one in about 6 feet from the ice machine so to share it with other purposes, and then I find there is only about 6 inches of fall from the ice machine drain. Imagine running pipe 6 feet with 6 inches of fall. Yeah, didn't work out so good; but got real good with the plumbing snake :)

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Will just jump in with my experience, as well. First, as stated, get an ice machine. As you're planning, make sure you put a floor drain directly under the location of the machine. I put one in about 6 feet from the ice machine so to share it with other purposes, and then I find there is only about 6 inches of fall from the ice machine drain. Imagine running pipe 6 feet with 6 inches of fall. Yeah, didn't work out so good; but got real good with the plumbing snake :)

How did 6" of fall not work for you? State codes usually allow for a fall rate on drain pipes around 1/8" to 1/4" per foot. I know there are different fall rates for different types of drains and I'm not a plumber but I'd think 1" per foot fall rate to your drain would have been more then sufficient.

Latest posts