Recommendation for scale?

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at both the Taylor TE10C 10lb scale or the Salter 6055SSDR Stainless-Steel for measuring beans for my Curtis brewer and my espresso and also for sale of coffee by the 1/2 -1 lb bag. These are low end scales and are not labeled "Legal For Trade". For those of you who are shop owners what scale would you recommend for a new shop owner.

Thanks so much,

KMM

crwate

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

hannah2012

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anyone who uses a 'Legal for Trade' scale for weighing their beans, other than roasters. I know you're supposed to, but I haven't heard of anyone ever having an issue. We used to sell "bags of coffee" that were 1 pound to get around this, but eventually gave up and labeled them 1 pound.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Please help me out... Why would roasters be the only ones to use a "legal for trade scale"? (We're planning on roasting beans and I've been following this thread.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Roasters aren't the only ones using "Legal For Trade" scales. In most states any commercial business, where product is sold by weight, is required to use this type of scale.

You will notice that some "Legal for Trade" scales are labeled "Not for Direct Sales" since it is required that both the operator of the scale and the consumer to be able to see the display showing the weight.

If the scale only has one display, then the scale should not be used for a direct (face-to- face) transaction between the operator of the scale and the customer, and you will need to purchase an auxiliary display so the customer can see the weight on their side of the counter too.

The place where I buy my roasted coffee beans has the digital scale set on a counter where the customer can see it. It only has one display. I watch them as they adjust the weight for the weight of the empty bag (tare feature) before they put the coffee beans in it and weigh them.

Rose

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

Looks good!

Did you read the part in the description that says: This scale ships calibrated to be legal for trade. Occasionally shipping and handling may alter the scale's calibration. If that happens, can you re-calibrate it?

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL Good question. I wonder if that is common to all scales that get shipped or just those under $110?

Btw, how will I know if its not calibrated?

I'll have to ask those questions to the sales peeps.

signed,

senor heavy fingers...

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It will be interesting to hear what the sales peeps say.

You'd think that since they wrote that bit of information in the description, there must be a way to calibrate the scale.

The only way you'd know if it's not calibrated is if it's way off target. A long time ago, when I was working in a candy store, that sold chocolates by weight, I saw an inspector come in and put small metal disks on the scale to see if it registered the correct weight.

By the way, I used to have to put the chocolate on the scale and step back so the customer could see that there were no heavy fingers adjusting the weight.

I'm guessing there are a lot of people with heavy fingers in the world.

Rose

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Ohaus all the way and they are legal for trade, different models. Having a set of weights to calibrate scales are a must. I use a UPS Mettler shipping scale to weigh the green beans to roast, then use a Ohaus Valor 5000 for small sales. I measure by the gram for customers not pounds.

LittleBrother

May 28, 2014
Florida
Visit site
There are many online scale store with a label of " legal for trade". I recently bought a NETP Floor Scale from a store. Their products ,specially commercial scales, are with a detailed description in which " legal for trade " is written.
I could not understand it in full. But you can have a look at the source from where i have bought it.

Last edited: