coffee bar counter dimentions

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am building a coffee shop and bakery. I am curious if there are any standard bar height and depth for the espresso machine. I am thinking 30 -32 inches minimum depth, and as far as height goes, as low as an undercounter fridge allows. So roughly 36"- 38" to top of counter. Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure 36" is a standard counter top height. The under counter fridges we're looking at run at 35-1/2". Bar stools are made specifically to fit that height of bar.

lw

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure 36" is a standard counter top height. The under counter fridges we're looking at run at 35-1/2". Bar stools are made specifically to fit that height of bar.

Depth is another story. You have more leeway there. Smaller is easy. larger gets to be a function of the dimensions of the materials used.

lw

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide between concrete and steel top. This counter is going to be the trickiest part of the wole build out. I feel like we need to get too much stuff in and on our counter, and it just isn't all going to fit. Just when we think we have space alotted for everything, we think of one more thing that has to be squeezed in.
Thanks for your input lw.
Jim

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We're looking at stainless. There are a few mfg's out there. (Online.) They are available in standard configurations with and without sinks and back splashes. Custom jobs are an option, but more expensive. We will be getting bids in the near future.

A friend has concrete bar tops in his home. (He also owns bars and pizza places in the metro des moines area and should have a good idea on the viability of concrete for commercial aps.) However, I'd check with the local health dpt to make sure concrete is a commercial option. I'm guessing it would need to be hella-sealed to pass inspection. .

Btw, if you do go the concrete route you might want to pick my friend's brain on logistics. he has a bit of experience with this application.

Good luck.

lw

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Btw, my contractor told me yesterday I should consider a "bar height" bar. I believe its 42"? Traditional bar stools are made to fit this height.

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
that sounds right. But you probably don't want your espresso machine that high, especially if your are going to have baristas who are short on height.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Right on, jimbo.

We plan on having our espresso machine against the back wall, so customers can see it. That counter top space will be at 32". (I stated 36" above, but believe 32" is the correct height, as the under counter fridges we're looking at are 31 1/2 " tall.

lw

hannah2012

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey, just a thought on putting the espresso machine on the back counter. It's great for people to see what you're doing, but likewise, your back will be to the customer, and that's not a great situation - especially since most barista's and customers always have a little chit chat. Then, when you're serving, you're moving the entire drink across.

It's up to you but I have yet to see this work well anywhere. Also, many times it's very busy and you don't want them to see everthing :decaf:

I like your idea a lot, but it's going to be a challenge logistically.

For the countertop, 36" is good and you can get a fridge undernieth - make sure to spec out the fridge. Also, we made a big mistake - make sure there is a floor drain for the espresso machine right under the machine, and also put a floor drain directly in back of the ice machine. I thought I could save a few bucks by using the same floor drain, and just plumbing the ice machine to the espresso drain. Well, I didn't realize you have about 6" of fall from the ice machine drain to the floor, so plumbing it over 4 feet, it constantly clogs because there's no fall. Off topic, but a lesson from me to you :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I agree with "hannah2012"

You'll end up regretting putting the espresso machine on the back counter. It's not always a good idea to let the customer see everything, and it's never a good idea to have your back to the customer, unless there is another person working the counter and facing front (and chatting and keeping an eye on the cash register, etc.)

It's been my experience that customers who see everything start telling you how to do everything... "More milk, less foam, more foam, less milk, less ice, more ice...can you stir that more?" (I'm sure you get the picture)

Rose