Is there a reliable super automatic coffee vending machine?

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Our business has a hot beverage vending machine (programmed free for customers) but I still see people toting Dunkin etc. cups. What would be the best option (reliable, low maintenance) for a good quality cup of coffee using the vending format...is there such a machine? Also, what else should I consider in tackling this opportunity profitably? Thank you very much and I'm open to all ideas!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "Startup"

I'm not sure if I understand the whole picture here:

You said that your hot beverage vending machine is programmed free for customers. Do you give the coffee away? If so, why would it matter if people are walking around with Dunkin Donuts cups?

Rose

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
The business is an automobile dealership and even with free coffee etc some customers and employees still walk next door to BUY coffee. If I could get quality coffee into the waiting room I think people would gladly pay for it. My question is could this be done profitably?...the machine expense, cups, ingredients, routine service. Nobody wants to tend a bar set up so a vending system it seems would be the answer. Is that a little clearer?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, that makes it clearer. When I read your first post, I pictured a car dealership or some similar place where people would be waiting around.

Several years ago, I worked at a local community college, where they had a student lounge area that had all sorts of vending machines. The coffee vending machine got a lot of use. The coffee and hot chocolate were good, and there obviously had to be a profit in having the machine there, otherwise it would have been history.

It may be worthwhile for you to check into a local company that supplies and services the coffee vending machines. Are there any businesses in your area that have a coffee vending machine were you can try the coffee or get more information about it?

Rose

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. Since the machine currently in the waiting room does offer both coffee and cappuccino among other beverages so I'm guessing the coffee must be of a darker roast.? Is that an accurate assumption? I'm thinking of adding a commercial quality coin/dollar machine only so as to offer a quality fresh "coffee only" option which would be more of a medium roast. Offering quality beans as fresh as possible rather than loading a huge hopper for convenience and waiting for it to empty is my thought. Since I'm there every day, I (believe?) I'd be able to monitor the machine for cleanliness, operation, and fresh bean supply. Can a coffee only machine provide an adequate return? Thanks again for your advice.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, if it also makes cappuccinos, it's probably a dark roast. Have you asked any of the other employees what they think of the coffee you currently offer....or why they prefer to buy Dunkin Donuts coffee instead?

The majority prefer a medium roast for their drip coffee. And most people would never get a cappuccino out of a vending machine. If you have a good machine and use good beans, you'll have a good chance of making a profit on the repeat business.

Rose