Choosing contractors for coffee shop build out

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm opening a coffee shop very soon and have obtained quotes from 3 plumbers and from 3 electricians. Any advice on how to choose the best one? I've received a low quote from both plumber and electrician and high quotes from both. The high quotes are 2 and 3 times greater than the low quotes.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

KMM

Sidram

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If your in florida check online of they are a licensees contractor. I am sure that other states have this too. Whack out for take the deposit and run sort of guys. Make sure to get reffrences and check them. Try to use a someone you know.

Moka-Pot

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned, check to see if they're licensed and insured.

If a quote is really low, they could be the kind of company that takes your money & runs, but they could also be someone trying to get started in the business.

This "could" mean that they do great work, but their price is low to get the work. It could also mean that they're cutting costs by not getting insurance or hiring people under the table.

In addition to the estimates, ask for some references from people they've worked for before. Check the contractor's board for open or closed complaints.

And, get a few more estimates to see where the fall. Some contractors will assume that you have a big budget because you're starting a business and hike their rates.

Usually, the mid-range guy will do a great job at a fair price.

Also, you shouldn't have to pay anything up front, but note that some of the small guys with low prices won't be able to do the job without a deposit because they can't front the materials. If possible, don't pay a dime until the job is completed to your satisfaction.

(I've never opened a coffee shop, but I have past experience in the contracting field.)

hannah2012

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd always recommend hiring a good general contractor. One that's been around for a long time. Some people think they are more expensive, but one mistake on your own and you've blown your budget; where a gc knows the guys he's working with, typically been working with them for a long time - your chances of something happening that's bad are far less.

I've done some misc electrical work and found people by going to an electrical supply store (there are one's in every town), telling them what you want to do, then asking if they have a good contact. They'll give you the guys that have been around a long time and who pay their bills.

REDrum

If you are asking for help on a coffee forum, yes, you need help. Find someone who will provide project and construction consulting for and hourly fee, like a lawyer. Or else you are at risk of needed a lawyer.... Have been in the construction business in south Fla for many years I have seen quite a few small business people go broke before they open the store, because they did not plan the space fit out accurately. Do not add up a few quotes from subs and think those are the total project fit-out cost. Develop and budget and work (build) within it, and always figure 20% contingency, after you have a permit in hand. Permitting and code compliance are big challenges, do not underestimate either. And pick people (subs) who you feel comfortable communicating with, if it doesn't feel right, don't go there.