Location + bar counter question

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Here is a question. I have thinking about opening up my own coffee bar and finally found a good location(..that I think its good)

Its on the main street, busiest street, restaurants, bars, shops and many many more. Mainly its close to the train station which will be nice/easy for the commuters.

so..Everything seems ideal to me. There are 2 Starbucks(1 of them is bit far bu not too far) and 2 dunkin donuts(1 of them is not on the main street but much more closer to the station..it gets packed in the morning) on this street and finally there is one local independent coffee bar but a few blocks off of main street.

Everything seems ideal for me but for some reason. Is there a reason why all the local independent coffee bars on 1-2 blocks off of the main street(not just this area that I am talking about)? is it because of the rent price is higher?? and it will lose the feeling of being "local" ?

Second question is that I have been having hard time finding places where they do coffee bar counters. Any suggestion where to start?

Thank so much..!

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
What was previously in the location in question? Check out the grease trap/interceptor requirements in your state before proceeding, if you haven't already.

And fire codes. Does the location need a sprinkler system due to size of property and intended use as coffee shop?

These are problems we've run into while getting ready to open a shop. Sometimes its easier to locate in a space previously set up as restaurant.

Any contractor should be able to install a coffee bar counter.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Scott

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the reply!

eldub : right now its a realty office and thanks for the tip :) I will keep that in mind and if you dont mind I will send you more questions. btw any opinions on thelocation? thank you

pinkrose : i am so glad i found this place . thank you

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The physical location sounds great. It's no problem being seen as a local shop on a busy street, imo. The trick is to find a location as close to that busy street as possible. (Not as easy as it may sound.)

However, I'm guessing a real estate office has different ordinances than a coffee shop. Here in Iowa retail spaces have different requirements than restaurants. (A coffee shop is considered a restaurant.) Capacities are calculated differently. Sprinkler systems are required for coffee shops with a certain capacity. Three holed sinks, grease trap/interceptors, mop basins and ADA approved bathrooms all come into play when converting a space from retail to coffee shop. At least around here.

Good luck.

lw

Last edited: