coffee roasting class

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Hello to all!
I am so new to this it hurts! Could you list the most important items that I should learn
in a coffee roasting class please. How about your top five must haves?

Thanks so much,
Spice

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Spice"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

I read your question about a coffee roasting class, and I wasn't sure what you're looking for.
Are you a beginner, or do you have some coffee roasting experience? Are you someone who is trying to organize/sponsor a coffee roasting class?

If you do an Internet search, you will see that there are plenty of training facilities where people go to learn about the art of roasting coffee.

Here are some of the topics that many of them cover in their introductory classes.

Green Coffee Origins
History of Coffee Roasting
Green Coffee Grading
Roasting equipment
Roasting
Blending
Cupping
Making Specialty Coffee Drinks
Food safety, etc.

We have several members, of this forum, who have plenty of roasting experience. Feel free to ask questions.

Rose

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Thank you Rose, I live in So Cal and there is a class offered close to me. I wanted to call and discuss
their specifics. I hope to start roasting for my husband clients as gifts, perhaps explore fundraising and
two farmers markerts on days I can be available. I do not want a brick and motar store, only online and
the markets.

Spice

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You should study what it takes to get licensed to sell coffee in your state. I doubt you can legally proceed without a food processing plant license. The cost should be minimal, however there are a few hoops the state will make you jump through.

lw