menu boards

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of ways to put your menu up

If it is a small menu the clipboard / repurposed wood and a printed menu is very clean
On the other end of the scale you can mount a tv and remove it at night
Use chalk pain and paint one side and have a chalk menu
A frame white/cork/or chalk board

I printed 24 x 36 posters, then laminated, then attached with magnets. About $25 each with printing and laminating and had 4 of them.

Best of luck

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
menu2.jpg
sample of menu

menu.jpg

up close

barefootespresso

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Excellent. I didn't get how you would use a TV though, can you explain? I also saw an example with a large picture frame with decorative paper inside and then you write on the plexiglass with dry erase markers. Only problem would be if it rained. I like your laminated posters.

Any advice for a newbe in the business?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Mr Shave: How did you come up with pricing? (I'm curious if the products listed come up to round numbers after tax is added in.)

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
That's funny.....last night I was thinking the same thing! I enlarged the photo, and I started playing around with the sales tax numbers for Hawaii (I think it's 4%) to see if the end result came out to be an even number. That idea didn't work out very well. I gave up and went on to something else. However, I'm still curious.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
LOL I just googles "Hawaii sales tax" and it appears that on Oahu there might be a 4% excise tax and another 1/2% surcharge to make a total of 4.5% tax unless the "tax on tax" rule is also being applied. hehe (I'm not making that up.) Anyway, running the numbers at 4.5% tax does kind of get you to a round number (if you round up.)

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Eldub

Yup! That has to be it.

When I add 4.5% to $1.91, it comes to an even $2.00
When I add 4.5% to $2.39, it comes to an even $2.50
Wheh I add 4.5% to $2.87, it comes to an even $3.00

Mystery solved! I'm impressed with your detective work, and I'm impressed with Mr. Shave's pricing plan.

The only problem I can see is that the even numbers will mess with potential tips. People won't have lots of loose change to throw in the tip jar.

Rose

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Haha good detective work.HI has Genral exist tax + some other thing for Oahu, comes out to 4.712%It makes it a lot easier to tell customers totals while still making their drink. Also, people going to "food trucks" have a thing about paying even amounts.Before I had sales tax included but people just thought our prices were even higher so we took it out. New traditional pricing is coming soon though :( I dread the fact we will have to stock other changeS

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Mr. Shave

Since you went to all that trouble to calculate your prices so they'd come out to even numbers, why do you plan to start new traditional pricing?

I can't imagine it being because you'd lose out on people throwing their loose change in the tip jar. Believe me, most people don't... I can't tell you how many times I've had to smile and say thank you when they keep the quarters and toss in the pennies - even after I've made them special-request drinks! Grrrrrrr....

Rose

Latest posts