How hard is to make....10k - 15k? in a month?

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi I've posted something a few weeks ago and things are moving along.

I have put an offer in for small space and currently waiting to hear back from the landlord.

But I was just thinking, in reality...how hard is to make around 10k - 15k? How much should I be expecting to make for first a few months.

I will be selling coffee, espresso based drinks, etc but NO FOOD. I will have some baked goods.
Store is on busy busy street(lot of foot traffic), lots of commuters and young people.

I know its VAGUE but please help me out!

THanks a bunch.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, lets see......

At $3.00 per serving on average, grossing $12,000/month would mean selling 4,000 cups of coffee in that time frame. If you are open 25 days per month that comes to moving 160 cups on average each and every day. If you are open for 10 hours/day, that's an average 16 cups of coffee every hour or one cup every 3 minutes and 45 seconds.

Last edited:

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Eldub!
I actually did all the rough math but I am just trying to figure out "selling around 150 cups on average each and everyday" is not too hard to do? or pretty hard to do that.

or if its realistic.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "Xhd2hd"

So, has there been any changes since you posted your original set of questions to the Forum?
http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...-location-bar-counter-question.html#post48429

It sounds like you actually have a location selected. Have you personally hung around to see what the foot traffic looks like (weekdays and weekends)?

Eldbub's message with his calculations are fantastic! It had to open your eyes a little bit! It's possible that you're expecting too much in the beginning.

When you're operate a coffee shop, no two days are exactly alike. You may have bad-weather days when you have less than $50 in sales, and you may good days when you sell more coffee than you expect.

Most of the Forum members, who have cafes, emphasize that you need lots of extra cash, especially for the first year.

I sincerely hope you've given this adventure lots of thought and that you have lots of cash stashed away for a rainy day!

Rose

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Wow, I have to say that I am simply amazed by he question if you are ready to set up a business.

How much competition.? Product segmentation ? Price sensitivity ?

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi PinkRose,

I found a good location and put an offer in and waiting to hear back.
I totally agree with what you said and I will have some cash save and also I will be doing some freelance work.

Thanks agian

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
At this point, the question I'd be asking is, "How much coffee do I need to sell to break even?" I'd calculate my monthly rent and utilities, cost of product sold, wages, bank note, insurance and any other personal bills you plan on covering with income from the shop and then figure out how much product I'd need to sell just to keep the doors open.

Xhd2hd

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi wmark,

I have all those information you mentioned in my bizplan but I was just curious.

I do something completely different for living and Yes I might not have a good sense in business but I am def preparing things..

Thanks!

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
If you price your coffee at $12,000 per cup, you only have to sell one a month. If you price it at $1.00, then you have to sell 12,000.

The truth is somewhere in between.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I've never heard of a coffee shop bringing in that much in a month. Maybe a Starbucks franchise in a prime location. I hope you experience success in your new venture!

Are you serious?

I know of a store or two where they expect that store to have a million year in gross sales. You can do the math and figure what the monthly revenue is.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of a coffee shop bringing in that much in a month. Maybe a Starbucks franchise in a prime location. I hope you experience success in your new venture!
$10,000 / 30 = $334 a dayBringing in 10k, is not hard. Bringing in only $10k and having something left over to live on, that is the impressive part.Based on personal experiencesI have worked at several places that gross more then that M-FTruck takes a little longer then one week to do 10k LOL

Latest posts