Mobile Coffee Truck Espresso Machine Question

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello;
I am exploring the possibility of doing a mobile coffee truck and have been getting nowhere when it comes to answering my question of how to power an espresso machine other than the recommendation of using a 110v machine. Most machines are 220v and I am unsure of how they would be powered in a mobile truck. You can get power for most other equipment like regular coffee machine, grinder, etc but how do most other trucks get power for their espresso machines? Do they run a 110v generator for all equipment or do they run a 110v for the main equipment and a seperate generator for the espresso machine or is there a special convertor/attachment that I could get. Most mobile trucks that I have looked at online don't seem to have 2 generators but still use a 220v espresso machine. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Brian

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello;
I am exploring the possibility of doing a mobile coffee truck and have been getting nowhere when it comes to answering my question of how to power an espresso machine other than the recommendation of using a 110v machine. Most machines are 220v and I am unsure of how they would be powered in a mobile truck. You can get power for most other equipment like regular coffee machine, grinder, etc but how do most other trucks get power for their espresso machines? Do they run a 110v generator for all equipment or do they run a 110v for the main equipment and a seperate generator for the espresso machine or is there a special convertor/attachment that I could get. Most mobile trucks that I have looked at online don't seem to have 2 generators but still use a 220v espresso machine. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated.
Brian

If you are serious and plan to make a living selling go with a 220v machine
I've seen 1 truck with 2 110v machines (pro consumer) and they get killed during rushes, meaning really long wait times.

Originally I had 1 18kw gen (go search through my posts and can read all about it)
After I had 2 honda 2k and 1 honda 6.5kw <- this has 220v on it.

It is possible to do with batteries and inverters, this is usually thumbs down due to initial investment and storage space.

Most commercially built trucks have a commercial gen with 220v output.

might be helpful for you

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...ding-mobile-food-lunch-wagon-coffee-cart.html

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/c...ning-mobile-food-lunch-wagon-coffee-cart.html

also go find some of shadows posts, another active user that has/had? a truck

best of luck

edit: espresso machine used La Marzocco GB/5 <- for those that plan to run beast mode only

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Mr. Shave;
Thank-you for the VERY informative reply. Your building a Mobile food coffee cart was fantastic. Some of the sites in your posts are not available anymore (Mobile Adventure ones) don't know if I am doing something wrong trying to link to them.

You have confirmed my thoughts about a 110v vs 220v espresso machines. I was worried that during peak times that the recovery would be to long to keep up with high demand.
I am not an electrician and have talked to RV sales and repair places and not one of the 4 I visited could tell me how to set up a system to make 220v available. Here in Canada we are just starting the food truck craze and I notice that in LA they have 8 times more trucks than in all of Canada.

So my understanding is that a 8kwatt generator has a 120/240v recepticle. Is this the recepticle that I would use for the espresso mahine by running a plug from here to an electrical panel that would then power the espresso machine? And then have 110v power run to a panel to power all the other grinders,icemachine,blenders etc?

Also you talk about batteries and an inverter. How does this work? What are the costs?

All things considered and with space and money not being a problem which system would you use and why?
Thanks again for any and all replies as I am getting alot more information here than anywhere else.

Last edited:

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello Mr. Shave;
Thank-you for the VERY informative reply. Your building a Mobile food coffee cart was fantastic. Some of the sites in your posts are not available anymore (Mobile Adventure ones) don't know if I am doing something wrong trying to link to them.
That site I took down. I'm not sure if I have the content still.

You have confirmed my thoughts about a 110v vs 220v espresso machines. I was worried that during peak times that the recovery would be to long to keep up with high demand.
I am not an electrician and have talked to RV sales and repair places and not one of the 4 I visited could tell me how to set up a system to make 220v available. Here in Canada we are just starting the food truck craze and I notice that in LA they have 8 times more trucks than in all of Canada.

Visit a bunch of trucks, specifically coffee if you can. What part of Canada are you in?

So my understanding is that a 8kwatt generator has a 120/240v recepticle. Is this the recepticle that I would use for the espresso mahine by running a plug from here to an electrical panel that would then power the espresso machine? And then have 110v power run to a panel to power all the other grinders,icemachine,blenders etc?
Be careful planning out your power requirements. 8kw sounds awfully low. You also don't want to run at gen max output, most manufactures will have a recommended continuous output rating.

Also you talk about batteries and an inverter. How does this work? What are the costs?
Never looked deeply into this. Didn't have room for batteries.

All things considered and with space and money not being a problem which system would you use and why?
Thanks again for any and all replies as I am getting alot more information here than anywhere else.
A generator that is built or attached to the truck, fulfills all power needs, and DOES NOT HAVE TO BE MOVED
that is key. Waste of time and will kill your back. Plug and play is ideal

Check out photos of the usual fabbed coffee trucks too

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Mr. Shave;
Thanks again for your information. I said 8000 watt generator because research on Seattle Coffee Trucks state that they have a 6500 watt generator but use batteries and an invertor. I would probably have a container built at the back bumper and just extend the bumper past the generator. I am still in the information gathering/feasability stage. Guess I am/was stuck on the power to the espresso machine and the inability to find someone to answer how to get 220v into the truck other than running a seperate generator just for the espresso machine. Got some info on a 110v 2 grp Nuova Simonella compact but the sales person states that it can do 40 espresso based drinks per hour which probably means more like 25 in reality. Don't think this will be enough for peaks at some high volume locations.

Is there anyone who could answer about the batteries and invertor system in a truck or suggestions on how I might find out this information? Anyone have a company that they used to build out their truck who I can ask these questions?

Thanks again for the help and information.

curious

Jun 27, 2012
Czech Republic
Visit site
inverter to 220v

hi ,i dont know where you are located but its very easy.
every person with electronic mount it quickly
there are 2 ways first is the transformer 110 v to 220 v link in german but you can buy it everywhere cheap.
price depends on how many Watt you need
www and conrad.de/ce/de/overview/2170283/Spartransformatoren
and even cheaper www and 220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/twowaytrans.htm
just ask your local electronic store

second is the inverter 12/24v-220 v but this is more expensive and you need big batteries.
but also easy to connect.

Last edited:

TheGreenJoe

Nov 8, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
Hello;
Brian

Not sure if this is a legal post, but I made a blog on this exact topic. I have pros and cons on the equipment I used. Its on my blog site: Green Joe Coffee Truck, Albuquerque New Mexico