Doing the Dream realistically

Rod1425

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
So I would like to have a nice online coffee business and would like to start it part-time and see where it goes. All i would be able to afford is probably a 1kg machine in the beginning unless i got a really good deal on a 3kg machine. Is it even doable? I'm not so much worried about "what if it takes off", as to how little i can get by with to start small. I would like to start inside a year or two, what kind of realistic small term goals should i set? My budget is about $8000. Can it be done? So much to learn.......

Cafe316

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
44 views. not one comment.... man tough crowd.

I know how you feel. No one responded to my post in this section of the forum either. I can't help, as I am a newbie as well but just dropped in to wish you luck. Hope someone chimes in soon for you.:coffee:

My best,

Peter

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Guys...

Weekends are usually slow on the Coffee Forum website, and holiday weekends are even slower.
We tend to get more activity during the week. It often pays to be patient while you're waiting for a response.

In addition, a lot of us in the Mid-Atlantic region got zapped by the gigantic storm that blew through last weekend. Some people are still without electricity. I lost mine for three days and it took a while for me to get back on-line.

In the meantime, while you're waiting for a response, you can always use our handy search feature that's at the top right corner of your screen. You will find lots of useful information there from previous threads on your topic.

One more hint.....when you start a thread, try to make the title more informative instead of vague. This thread could have been called something like "Need Help With Online Coffee Business" or "Coffee Business Help Please" or something like that. You'll get people's attention faster that way.

Rose

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
Just a home roaster here; but have a baby pro machine in the garage. Mine's a .5K with all the toys, cost is not that bad and it's the #1 roaster brand in Taiwan. There are folks over there that roast professionally on the Mini500/800n not to mention it's a great machine to learn on. So the budget is doable in the used market if you have a place to set up the equipment. Used Ambex are the easiest to find it's just going to take some patience to find a deal. I think a 15K is a little too big; maybe a 5K or 10K depending if you can get it for cheap. Ambex don't roast to full capacity so that's a good thing; the smallest size roast that the thermocouple reads is important also. Start looking now for a killer deal.......... that would help with resale just in case.................

One think to consider is spending the money and taking one of the Boot roasting classes. Maybe afterwards you can hook up with someone for a week or two and learn some of the basics.