Buying wholesale coffee. Do wholesalers provide cups for free?

tucafe

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm planning on opening a coffee shop soon and was wondering if it's normal for the wholesale provider to provide cups along with the coffee beans. I've seen a few shops that purchase beans from wholesalers and have the cups with the wholesaler's logo so I'm wondering why the shop owner would use these cups over others? Is there an incentive, like free or discounted cups?

Thanks,

John

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Tucafe;
Congrats on your endevor. May I suggest that you read the forum from top to bottom. Lots of good suggestions are available here. I am of the belief that those cups that are provided (usually free) are not free. You are paying for them one way or another, whether it be in lower quality beans or higher priced beans. If they were truly free then why would a business be in business to make a lower profit, or no profit? Some wholesalers might offer them at a discount as they buy in volume at a price that you may not be able to but you are advertizing their business for them. A popular point on this forum is to have sleeves made with local companies paying for them with both their and your advertizing on them.
Brian

tucafe

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I know nothing is truly free. I guess what I meant was if there is an additional -separate- cost for the cups?

What if your cafe has its own custom cups and you only want the wholesaler's beans? If they say the cups are 'free' and you don't take them, you probably won't get a discount for not accepting 'free' cups.

I was just wondering what's standard in the industry.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Why not cross that bridge when you come to it?

Or call your supplier and ask the question to the only folks who can really give you the answer you seek.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "tucafe"

When I first read your original post, I wondered why you'd want to have your customers walk around with cups that advertise your wholesalers products. I'm still wondering.

Sometimes, the wholesaler will provide you with the equipment for "free" for as long as you continue to buy the coffee beans and other products from them. I've worked in cafes that had that setup, and they were happy with it. They purchased the beans, teas, hot chocolate, etc. and then the equipment, filters, maintenance, etc. came along for the ride. You'll need to shop around and decide what's right for you.

Rose

Latest posts