How much would you pay for 1lb of specialty coffee to be delivered to your doorstep?

cafedude87

Sep 14, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Visit site
Hey everyone, I recently started an online coffee subscription service with my buddy, and what we do is choose a unique specialty coffee from around the world each month and send it freshly roasted to our customers. I'd like to get some feedback on what you'd be willing to pay each month for a pound of this coffee to arrive at your doorstep, given that you know it will taste amazing. Trying to get a feel for what's realistic and how we can engage our customers better.

Thanks

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The problem that I have with ordering coffee online is that you pay for the coffee and you pay for the shipping. To me, it's not worth it, especially when I can go to my local roaster and buy my coffee there.

I'm not too sure if I'd ever consider a coffee subscription service that selects and sends a new coffee each month. It would be like someone ordering for me in a restaurant. It would never work for me.

How much are you currently charging your customers?

Rose

TroyCo

Sep 15, 2012
reno
Visit site
Thats a really great idea @cafedude! its always best to start low then continually raise your rates until you find that sweet spot. hope that is helpful

tankin_tummy

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I think it's definatly appealing to those living in small towns or out in the country.... you don't have access to a roaster there. Living in a large city with many roasters I would prefer to go to the roastery in person than order online. It's nice to walk in and talk to someone and be able to see and smell the beans before you buy them. On the otherhand, if there is a certain blend of beans I know I like that my local roaster doesn't have then I would buy online. That's just my opinion, but I think your business should do fine if you have a good quality product and can market it well.

cafedude87

Sep 14, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Visit site
Thanks for all the input everyone!

The way our model is set up is that we ourselves pay for the shipping, so the customer is only paying for the pound of coffee itself. I can understand how you would want to be able to choose the type of coffee you receive each month, so I guess if you're totally set on that then you wouldn't really be a customer of ours. The idea with our offer is if you want to experience a different quality coffee every month, without having to do any research yourself, it can be a nice little surprise getting a new coffee roast every month and to be able to familiarize yourself with coffee flavors from different regions. And yes, we do roast it ourselves in small batches. We have indeed noticed that people in the midwest/country are more keen to subscribe to our coffee.